Audi Loud Steering Noise

Anto318

Hi all,

Recently when turning at low speed or first thing in the morning a fairly loud noise the same sound as when you completely locked the steering wheel to the left or right but a fair bit louder.

When I am driving in 2nd gear at around 1.5k revvs and turn the steering wheel I'm getting this fairly loud noise. There is just under 80k on the clock and about 3 weeks ago I got 2 new shocks put in the front of the car.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it? I'm heading to my mechanic this evening but wouldn't mind your opinion.

I'm driving an Audi TT 02.

Thanks in advance
AM

Had a hose/pipe go in a Focus recently in the Power Steering system, and it was making noise similar to what you describe.

As soon as mechanic started the car and turned the wheel, he knew exactly what was wrong.

Thanks for that I'll be heading into the mechanic this evening and hopefully it won't be anything too serious.

Your car is front wheel drive there is a possibility the constant velocity joints are worn,this happens due to the rubber which holds the grease which lubricates the joint tears and dirt and grit gets into the joint and the noise is more pronounced when locking the wheels around corners this is easily seen if your mechanic puts it up on a jack, wheels off ground at the front, lock the steering wheel and observe the rubber covers to see if they are torn.It could only be one side they are expensive to replace.

No the front drive shafts have the C.V. joints attached to them which then attach to the wheel hub the joints act so as you can turn the wheels left and right via the steering wheel and that the wheels can also rotate at the same time.

Might just requrie topping up of the power steering fluid - had this on my 02 accord a few weeks back.

I have an Audi which had similar symptoms.

In my case, it turned out to be a cracked steering rack, which ran down the power steering fluid every few weeks. It took a number of different opinions from a number of different mechanics to get to the correct root cause (although, it was apparent it was leaking fluid).

Topping it up every few weeks did the trick; but eventually I decided to get it repaired, which has now fixed it for good.

If you do need to top up with steering fluid, just make sure that you use the proper (volkswagen) green fluid.

Back