Audi A4 Starting Problems

BillPoster

Hi, I drive a '97 Audi A4 1.9 TDI. Until now I have never had a problem in 145k miles. About six months ago the problem started, rarely at first but now almost once a day. Problem is when starting; the engine turns and starts for a brief second and dies. Suggestions that I've had so far are fuel or air starvation, or the 'chip' in the key losing sync with the brain in the ignition. Both of these have been investigated but appear not to be the problem. I do find that it will start most times if I push the key forward when in the ignition. Does this suggest wear in the ignition contacts? Is there a contact for engaging the starter motor and then a separate contact that enables engine to keep running after starter motor is disengaged?

I'm clutching at straws over this. Most mechanics I've come across aren't interested in trying to fix such suprious problems. Each mechanic seems to have a different reason why this is happening.

Thx

Is the orange"key in a car" symbol flashing when you get this starting problem?Do you have a spare key?If so give it a try for a few days.

Back