Auctioneers IAVI or ERA Membership

roker

I have been doing a bit of research which I would like confirmation if there is any Estate Agents/Auctioneers out there (I use the term collectively because I do not know the difference)

It would seem that if an Auctioneer is a member of thr IAVI they have to abide by a code of practice for buying and selling property, plus there is a complaints procedure if they have not carried out their job in a business like manner.

The ERA is merely a business franchise operation between a lot of Auctioners which I cannot see any code of practice or complaints procedure on the ERA website.

Not all Auctioneers are members of these or one or the other.

If this is true, then It would be better to choose an Auctioneer that is a member of the IAVI, so that the client or seller of the property has a guarantee of service, and a system of feedback if something goes wrong

I am a member of the IAVI, so thats my interest on the table, but generally IAVI members are your safest bet. There is a complaints procedure and the IAVI have been at the forefront for making the necessary changes to the profession over the last number of years. Similarly look out for IPAV, theyhave codes of conduct etc. The IAVI would be the largest body in Ireland re: auctioneers. When you say if something goes wrong it all depends, as long as they have worked within their guidelines they are ok and purchasers should be aware that all agents are working in their clients interests.

IAVI and ERA are two totally different things.

IAVI is a professional body to which auctioneers can become members, but they must adhere to a strict set of rules/guidelines etc. To join you must either be experienced or do a formal qualification.

ERA is only a grouping of estate agents for commercial/marketing purposes.

Just to clarify, I would expect ERA auctioneers in general to be members of IAVI or IPAV, the same as auctioneers operating under the Sherry Fitz, DNG & other brands.

The prospective house purchaser/seller would not know what these signs mean hanging outside of the front of an Auctioneers.
We have clarified that the ERA is business organisation and not necessarily in the best interest of the client.
The IPAV has very limited guidelines.(look at their website)
Thank you MrMan, the IAVI would seem the best choice for service and back up, but I cannot agree that the Auctioneer always works in the best interest of client, especially when it comes to paying the fees, they will get as much as they can, that is business, there must be a balance somewhere, and hence the guidelines.
How do we know the quality of the people taken into these organisations? How easy is it to join?

but I cannot agree that the Auctioneer always works in the best interest of client, especially when it comes to paying the fees, they will get as much as they can, that is business, there must be a balance somewhere, and hence the guidelines.
How do we know the quality of the people taken into these organisations? How easy is it to join?

I agree that this cannot be garaunteed, but my point was mainly aimed at the growing trend in purchasers expecting the auctioneer to make the deal happen for them, the auctioneer is obliged to work to the best interests of the vendor. When you say they will get as much as they can re fees that would also mean that they would be getting a better price for their client.
With regard to entry I did the 4 year degree course and subsequently had to look for a nomination and was seconded and then my nomination was brought before the council. After that members also have to do set cpd hours per annum over a three year cycle and the IAVI are quite good at keeping members in touch with all areas of the market and beyond through their updates and monthly magazine. Check the http://www.iavi.ie for the full list of requirements.

Back