Auctioneer Payment

Jac

Hi,
I had my house on market. Auctioneer came priced it, took pics. A couple was interested but I couldn't get another mortgage so now have to take house off the market. Is the auctioneer entitled to charge me the fee he would charge if I sold the house?

Thank you in advance for your help!
P

Hi,

Usually there is an up-front payment for advertising, signage, etc... usually in the €200-€300 ball park. (used to be in the overall figure during the "boom" times when it was frowned upon to ask for monies up front)

Then on completion of a successful sale, a pre-determined % is paid, usually from 1.5% up...

Depends on any signed agreement with him.

In the absence of a signed agreement the 'gentlemanly' thing to do would be to cover any of his costs (and probably a payment for his time).

But no, not the full fee as if he had sold your house.

Believe me, the vast majority of auctioneers did not act very "gentlemanly" during the boom years. Phantom bidders, gazumping etc. Only pay what you are obliged by contract. It will be a learning experience for him if you owe him nothing.

Believe me, the vast majority of auctioneers did not act very "gentlemanly" during the boom years. Phantom bidders, gazumping etc. Only pay what you are obliged by contract. It will be a learning experience for him if you owe him nothing.

There are plenty of decent & reputable auctioneers out there who acted honourably and looked after their clients well, before, during and after the boom. There were plenty of fly-by-nights also but please don't tar all with the same brush.

You should perhaps ponder the ethics of encouraging others to refuse to pay for work done on their behalf.

Back