Attic ladders which is best value for money

C

cracla

Hi folks,
Looking to get an attic ladder fitted which would you recommend as the best and which is best value for money, e.g. Stira, Dolle etc?

Thanks

We just put in a new attic ladder recently. It was from Atlantic Homecare and cost about E139. Hubby did the work himself and it wasn't too difficult. The ladder is wooden and folds out easily when the attic door is opened. It's spring loaded to it has to be pulled down, unlike the previous one which would open itself and hit passers by on the head.

We got our attic stairs in recently with "Reavey Attic Stairs". They are in Monaghan, think its Clones. You could check them in phone book. They had a special offer on for €320 which was way cheaper than Stira. We found them to be very efficient and quick and clean. They also did the floor in attic for another €320 total job 640euro. Highy recommend them.

I just had two attic ladders fitted by this crowd AAS attic access systems, whole job finished in a day, the ladders are timber, made by Fakro. Total cost for both was 800 supplied and fitted, pm if you want the number. Check out the web site www.fakro.com No association

My dad installed my one, if you're anyways handy you might manage it too.

Some DIY stores have a lesser known name of the Stira type, I know they sell for maybe €100 - €150

Hi all thanks for the input.
One final question....of those various companies supplying attic ladders which is the best i.e. robustness, easy of use, and insulation quality.
Basically want a good quality one which will last the test of time and is well insulated so not wasting money heating the house just so it can escape through the roof hatch as it as present.

Thanks again

Most of the better quality attic ladders have insulated hatch door, 36mm is standard, with a coefficient of 1.1W/m2k. If you want higher insulation properties there is a 100mm insulated top box that is fitted above the frame of ladders within the attic, cost is around 250e extra

I recently bought an attic ladder from . They were able to supply the Fakro LWK Comfort for €150 including VAT, which is a very good price for a good quality ladder. They didn't charge me delivery as they were delivering in my area already. They were very good to deal with and I'd happily buy from them again.

I believe they also offer an install service, but I didn't get a quote for that as I am fitting it myself.

I recently got a Dolle Stairs fitted.

I have no issue with the stairs but the Door mechanism is difficult to open as when you are pulling down on the pin to open the door you are putting pressure on the catch mechanism to open

Most of the better quality attic ladders have insulated hatch door, 36mm is standard, with a coefficient of 1.1W/m2k. If you want higher insulation properties there is a 100mm insulated top box that is fitted above the frame of ladders within the attic, cost is around 250e extra

I would imagine having insulation on the attic ladder is extremely important as I've been to many houses where the attic door created an awful draught

Hi

Also looking to install a loft ladder however slight complication is that the current loft hatch is glass to let in light from some glass slates (landing is in dark corner of house). So does anyone know if its possible to get a loft ladder with a see through hatch?

Thanks.
Fitz

Back