Attic Insulation/Access/Ventilation Work Recomendations

Eireog007

We have finally managed to get ourselves into the house so now the never ending maintenance/upgrading/decorating fun can begin.
We are looking to increase the attic insulation from 4” to 12”, get approximately 24 square meters of raised flooring put down, upgrade the attic access from a metal sliding stairs to a wooden folding one and also get the cold water tank cleaned and a lid fitted. There will also be ventilation works potentially required once all this is completed. I have done my google research and have a few places in mind to get quotes from but I was wondering if anybody here has had similar work done recently and could recommend based on their experiences.

@Eireog007
Congratulations on the new home !

What county are you in (will help with recommendations for that area) ?

You should also have a look through the seai web site for contractors / grants for such work that you are looking to get done.

@Eireog007
Congratulations on the new home !

What county are you in (will help with recommendations for that area) ?

You should also have a look through the seai web site for contractors / grants for such work that you are looking to get done.
Sorry forgot to put that in, we are in south Dublin.
Yeah I have been looking through the list also but thought some additional reviews might be helpful.

What BER is on the house you bought, what year was it built and what sort of money have you to spend? Based on that, I might have a recommendation on a good company but they're not cheap. Then again, you get what you pay for.

What BER is on the house you bought, what year was it built and what sort of money have you to spend? Based on that, I might have a recommendation on a good company but they're not cheap. Then again, you get what you pay for.
1968 built semi detached open gable roof, the BER as of earlier this year is a C2.
I’m not too concerned on price more so quality of the work. From what I had looked at online I was expecting somewhere in the €2k - €2.5k region with the SEAI grant for the insulation taken into account.

I'd recommend Stira for the folding attic wooden stairs. They replaced our metal sliding ladder with one of theirs. This necessitated widening the opening and the installer added a further hinge in the stairs to enable it get past a doorframe when folding.

Workmanship was top-class, and he didn't charge extra for the alterations.

It might also be better for you to get the stairs done first as it will really assist in getting the loft insulation rolls brought up to the attic. Especially if you are widening it to use more frequently as storage access.

1968 built semi detached open gable roof, the BER as of earlier this year is a C2.
I’m not too concerned on price more so quality of the work. From what I had looked at online I was expecting somewhere in the €2k - €2.5k region with the SEAI grant for the insulation taken into account.
Sorry, thought it was a bigger job and was going to recommend Churchfield Home Services.

I recently got a very similar thing done to you by the company noproblem suggested above. Was around 3k after grant including air vents, I got the Ber arranged seperately as they were charging a lot more though. Really good job.

I had looked at churchfield but I didn’t think that they did attic stairs and flooring.

When you add more fibreglass wool, try to do it very cold weather. Get someone with a thermal camera to guide installation. It will pick up many badly laid spots where you get thermal bypassing. It probably would blow your mind how many there will be.

Back