Attic Conversions - What quotes are people getting now?

minion

Since the downturn and builders having to get realistic i have had quotes for several different jobs tumble significantly. Quotes for an attic conversion dropping by over 50% being the best example. Ive also had the quotes on a sunroom drop by around 40%.

I still dont think its low enough to bite the bullet yet though.

I used to work in the business myself so i know whats involved in the work and that the quotes of the last few years were totally taking the mickey.

I just want to highlight here what is happening with quotes so everyone can add thiers too to see if they are getting a bargain.

Hopefully the thread wont go off topic with vested interests coming on and bigging up the scale of the job to justify high prices.

Me first. Here goes:

Attic will be Approx 200 Sq Ft usable area, with storage to sides.

Including Flooring, stairs (knocking hole in wall and ceiling), 2 Large Velux windows, Insulation, Floor, plastering, painting, electric storage heating and lighting.

Quotes a year ago were €25 - €30k. (avg €5k extra if i wanten a bathroom up there)
Quotes are now €12k - €15k. (avg €2k extra if i wanten a bathroom up there)

Several quotes were given by the same companies who gave the original quotes, who called me back, because i asked them to call if they could significantly reduce their prices.

It goes without saying that you should check the companies out too. No point having a cheap quote by a cowboy.

Anyone else had quotes for this work recently?
If so give details here.
Im thinking you can PM me the details of who quoted you and i'll gather them up and PM them to anyone who wants them if we're not allowed to post them here.

If this thread works out i'll start another on Sunroom quotes.
I should say that this is for my parents house and thats why im trying to save as much as possible for them. Might as well share anything i get.

a attic conversion cost depends on the size of the attic and what type of finish you go for. a friend got a crowd in meath who do a god job a a decent price. cant remember there names at the moment but if anybody's interested i could find out there name.

Thats great to hear in a few months I'm hoping to do a bit of renovating in my house involving moving windows and doors hopefully quotes will be down even more by then.
Great Idea for a thread!
P.S. If anyone has any recommendations for the cork city area I'd love to hear them

What about a quote for a 3,000sqft bungalow in the newbridge, kildare vicinity. Would be interested ot hear.

a attic conversion cost depends on the size of the attic and what type of finish you go for. a friend got a crowd in meath who do a god job a a decent price. cant remember there names at the moment but if anybody's interested i could find out there name.

Can you give me the name of the crowd in Meath. I am considering an attic conversion it at the minute.

Paul24

Please look for recommendations in the "Recommendations for tradesmen, suppliers etc" forum. any posted here will be removed.
Leo

Does anyone have a ballpark figure, for a decent finish on a normal sized 3-4 bed bungallow, 100-130sqm?

I am also thinking of converting my attic. was wondering had anyone a ball park figure and have any recommendations for teh Tipperary area. Attic convertible size is 54ft long x 12ft wide by 8ft high. Was hoping to get a bedroom with ensuite and maybe a small box room/office if room allows for this

Back