ATM machine omni shopping centre

Ann-Marie

Hi All

Just a quick warning

Got an email today from a friend three people she knows used the atm on the outside of the shopping centre and their accounts were cleared after using it.

So if you know anyone that would use this warn them

If somebody knows the owner of the ATM maybe they should call one of the numbers to report it!

I have a vague memory of hearing this warning some months ago - possibly here on AAM or on boards.ie. Is this one of those urban myths 'friend of a friend' story that grows legs and goes on for ever?

All the same there have been reports of wireless skimming of cards via tampered ATMs so there's no harm in being vigilant. As ever a simple low tech security measure - covering the keypad with your hand as you punch in your PIN - can reduce the risks of being stung.

ClubMan said:
All the same there have been reports of wireless skimming of cards via tampered ATMs so there's no harm in being vigilant. As ever a simple low tech security measure - covering the keypad with your hand as you punch in your PIN - can reduce the risks of being stung.

Funny thing last night. Was in a queue behind a Garda for an ATM machine on Westmoreland Street.

He was very careful when he came up to the top of the queue to cover the pin-pad with his had to make sure I didn't see his number. All very smart.

Except that he had to leave his full wallet lying on the side of the ATM available to anyone who wanted to lift it to use his 2nd hand to cover the pin-pad.

Best thing is to remove your card and replace your wallet in your (inside) pocket before approaching the ATM - especially at night/in a "dodgy" area...

As ever a simple low tech security measure - covering the keypad with your hand as you punch in your PIN - can reduce the risks of being stung.

There was a story in the papers yesterday saying that the skimming gangs are now installing fake "fronts" onto ATMs that are wirelessly connected to a laptop nearby - ie these fake fronts have a keboard and a slot and they can record your key presses for your PIN

In at least one of the major Irish banks the recommendation has been sent to staff to avoid ATM's as much as possible and use the Cashback facility in shops instead. The introduction of Chip and PIN laser cards will increase the security of these Cashback transactions even further

efm said:
In at least one of the major Irish banks the recommendation has been sent to staff to avoid ATM's as much as possible and use the Cashback facility in shops instead.
Did you see this recommendation yourself? I'd find it very hard to believe that one of the big banks would put such a recommendation in writing to all staff, given that it would be an absolute certainty that this would leak to the press.

Personally, I prefer to use ATM's which are in secure locations (e.g. inside shops) which dramatically reduces the chances of unauthorised exposure.

Out of interest, do you have any comeback to the banks if you fall foul of these skimmers?

ronan_d_john said:
Funny thing last night. Was in a queue behind a Garda for an ATM machine on Westmoreland Street.

He was very careful when he came up to the top of the queue to cover the pin-pad with his had to make sure I didn't see his number. All very smart.

Except that he had to leave his full wallet lying on the side of the ATM available to anyone who wanted to lift it to use his 2nd hand to cover the pin-pad.
And how far do you think the lifter would have`got before being hit by the Garda's mates and dragged off to assist some enquiries in the back of the squad car. I'd give him about 5 seconds............. Guards ain't stupid, not with their own money....................

Dowee said:
Out of interest, do you have any comeback to the banks if you fall foul of these skimmers?
You'd need to check the terms & conditions of your card agreement to see what's covered and what's not.

I still have my Ascent card from college so the chances of me have the terms and conditions of it are slim.

Did you see this recommendation yourself? I'd find it very hard to believe that one of the big banks would put such a recommendation in writing to all staff, given that it would be an absolute certainty that this would leak to the press

It was given as a recommendation to an internal support / help desk - I am unsure of the exact format in which it was delivered to the help desk but it is being given as advice internally. I don't want to give any more details on a public forum but if you want more info just PM me.

Not everybody agrees that this is necessarily the case - see Chip and Spin.

I agree that the intro of Chip and PIN is no panacea for the issues of card fraud and theft but it does make it more difficult to use a card once stolen / compromised / copied

efm said:
I agree that the intro of Chip and PIN is no panacea for the issues of card fraud and theft but it does make it more difficult to use a card once stolen / compromised / copied
The Chip and Spin site explains how Chip and PIN can actually make fraud easier in some cases!
Dowee said:
I still have my Ascent card from college so the chances of me have the terms and conditions of it are slim.
Ask your bank for a copy.

Back