ATM Card Tax Rant Before Bedtime

Z

z108

I would have posted this in the other forums but it says Im denied access.

Account/card stamp duty tax is the most unfair tax in Ireland today.

As far as I know it's charged to the accounts of young and old , the very poor as well as the rich and is charged against the accounts of pensioners and taken out when the pension comes in, its taken out of childrens communion money , out of umemployment and disability payments.

I've just checked a few accounts I havent used in years and its been insidiously leeching away at them all this time.

I think its reprehensible and people should stand up on the doorsteps and condemn this tax.

This should be in letting off steam, a forum to which the OP has not yet any access.

I've just checked a few accounts I havent used in years and its been insidiously leeching away at them all this time.

If you have ATM cards on those accounts get rid of them and the charge will stop. Tell the bank, hand them back. You are costing yourself money.

For an ATM card the stamp duty is only due if the card is actually used in that year (unlike a credit card). If you haven't used the ATM card/account, you shouldn't have to pay. Bring documentation (bank statement) proving there's been no ATM use to your bank and request a refund.

Actually I fully agree with Sign on this one. the government of the day encourages firms/businesses etc more and more to carry out cashless transactions. and then taxes the credit card. in this instance the government 'discovered' that people actually use things called ATMS. So natch when people use something that is popular -they do what governments do best - tax it. this unfortunately applies to everything that is popular and even unpopular as long as joe soap is using it. tax on alchohol/ciggies/cars and other 'luxuries' I can understand. tax has to be collected in order for a society to function. but taxing an atm card where a lot of people have no other choice ie their wages are paid by paypath directly in bank accounts and banks are not necessarily open when they are off is an example of taxing what is rapidly becoming a necessity ie the need for such a card. they old bbc program yes minister was very funny but also very sharp. Can recall one program where they had a scene which went along the lines - if its unpopular ie opera etc then you subsidise it, and if its popular ie football then you tax it. funny but alas true.

I must agree that the ATM & CC taxes are indiscriminate and opportunistic. It is virtually impossible to operate without a bank account/ATM card & Credit Card. Infacta Bertie is the only person in recent times that I've heard claim to have successfully managed their finances without a having bank account.

Re:What is a Fair Tax?

I must agree that the ATM & CC taxes are indiscriminate and opportunistic.

What tax is *not* indiscriminate and opportunistic?

Inheritance tax? Stamp duty? VAT? Income tax? Rates? Water rates? Bin tax?

Let's hear it for the good taxes, please!

One postive aspect of the stamp duty on Credit Cards is that it encourages people to maintain only one credit card. Perhaps it would be an idea for person's primary ATM card to be exempted stampduty?

Do you really think that €10 (or €20 pa for a Laser card) is excessive ?

Initially it was introduced I think because the use of cards meant that people used less cheques so the Govt lost out on Medallion Stamp Duty (chqs cost 15c duty each)

"its taken out of childrens communion money " Sorry it's not.....children under 2nd level are not allowed have cards.

Just to keep the arguement balanced !

Yes, I do work in banking but I pay my card taxes like everyone & I feel the money is well spent on my cards.

I repeat my earlier point. How does one get hold of cash if you are working during bank opening hours and don't get paid in cash?. How many firms draw down cash from banks and make up the little brown envelopes now? the government have seen a nice simple way to collect (an admittedly small ) tax on they way that a lot of people are having to resort to atms.

Do you really think that €10 (or €20 pa for a Laser card) is excessive ?

Initially it was introduced I think because the use of cards meant that people used less cheques so the Govt lost out on Medallion Stamp Duty (chqs cost 15c duty each)

"its taken out of childrens communion money " Sorry it's not.....children under 2nd level are not allowed have cards.

Yes, I do work in banking but I pay my card taxes like everyone & I feel the money is well spent on my cards.

Not sure why working in banking is relavant but to answer the question on whether I think €10/€20 is excessive, I do. Why should I pay the government for getting access to MY money that I have already paid tax on when it suits me.

I do feel that the tax is excessive. It's why I only have a regular ATM card, rather than a laser card.

Gordanus - lets hear it for the good taxes you say - how about the plastic bag tax?

The same plastic bag tax that was rejected by the British Government after a report by one of their agencies concluded that the Irish plastic bag levy was NOT environmentally friendly?

Gordanus

Re:What is a Fair Tax?
Quote:Originally Posted by michaelm
I must agree that the ATM & CC taxes are indiscriminate and opportunistic.

What tax is *not* indiscriminate and opportunistic?

Inheritance tax? Stamp duty? VAT? Income tax? Rates? Water rates? Bin tax?

Let's hear it for the good taxes, please!

Why dont they bring back the Victorian window tax ? Thats just as unfair and at least with water rates or bin tax you can at least console yourself that your money is supposed to go towards a service and that the very disadvantaged can get some assistance towards it. This tax has no relation to the ability to pay which is a thundering disgrace.
Why dont they tax the banks instead of ripping off the account holder whos already over charged in many cases. The government cant even justify this tax with propaganda!!!

Perplexed
its taken out of childrens communion money " Sorry it's not.....children under 2nd level are not allowed have cards.

I know of a one parent family where the father (living abroad) gives his daughter 10 euro a week pocket money into her bank account shes 14 and has an atm card . One of these weeks she will check her allowance and discover it was taken out by our nice government.
You cant say that any child whos had the sense to not spend his or her communion money on sweets isnt affected. And what about confirmation money? Its all completely wrong and goes against any principle about ability to pay.
I've just had the atm card taken off my bank of ireland and irish permanent accounts but they have told me they dont 'do' savings books any longer so im left with nothing except a statement. In my inactive accounts I only had a balance of over 10 euro in both accounts and the government cleared the damn thing out. I feel like I have been held up legally.
But as Rev. Lovejoy in the Simpsons once said to Marge "Once something has been approved by the Government, It's no longer immoral" ... right ?

Not sure why working in banking is relavant but to answer the question on whether I think €10/€20 is excessive, I do. Why should I pay the government for getting access to MY money that I have already paid tax on when it suits me.

Absolutely. Many banks charge you for withdrawing your money, why should the government get in on the act too?

its ok if you are off during bank working hours. I happen to only work part time now. So I have my pension and my part time job wages paid into the ebs building society. and just pop in and withdraw enough for a fortnight at a time. First Active is no use as they no longer deal in cash. but mrs cu works during banks hours so she is another prisoner of this tax.

"I know of a one parent family where the father (living abroad) gives his daughter 10 euro a week pocket money into her bank account shes 14 and has an atm card . One of these weeks she will check her allowance and discover it was taken out by our nice government.
You cant say that any child whos had the sense to not spend his or her communion money on sweets isnt affected. And what about confirmation money? Its all completely wrong and goes against any principle about ability to pay."

BOI pay the tax for 2nd level students so depends where she has her a/c.

I made it clear I was a banker just to keep the arguement balanced & make it clear where I was coming from.

I pay €10 for a taxi home after a night out & in comparison I think the same amount in tax for a whole year of using an ATM card is good value. You wouldn't even get two drinks for a tenner so lets keep it in perspective!

I pay €10 for a taxi home after a night out & in comparison I think the same amount in tax for a whole year of using an ATM card is good value. You wouldn't even get two drinks for a tenner so lets keep it in perspective!

I dont see how this tax represents 'good value' as you claim. The government is not giving any form of value back in return.
I've already paid the bank charges (out of a taxed income) entitling me to an atm service from my bank and those charges are already taxed as bank profits. What more does the government want?
This card tax is in my mind similar to a levy on childrens pocket money or on medicine. Its just that unfair.
Some people (the diabled and unemployed) might only have 10 or 20 euro spare in their account most especially children (who are not going to be spending 10 euro on 2 drinks and might have a different concept of the value of 10 euro) but who might have earned 10 euro from a paper round. It is an unfair unprincipled and dishonest tax in my opinion.]

Another thing...If the government really wants this economy to be competitive they shouldnt introduce measures which make us less competitive businesswise . The reality is there is no such thing as free banking while this charge exists.

Back