ATM card skimmed

drums

My BOI atm card was skimmed a week before christmas. I only discovered it on christmas eve when I tried to withdraw money. My limit had been exceeded. I check my online banking only to discover over €7000 had been taken from my account over 11 days. I immediately cancelled my card. I had to wait until the Thursday after christmas for the bank to open. I gave them a Garda report and a complaint. The money was refunded to my account the next day. The BOI atm in st. stephens green shopping centre was the culprit. I went back to it and found remnants of double sided tape. A false front was used. The bank said that all you can do is cover the screen with your hand when entering your pin (not very technical). I am surprised they did not have a system that would discover unusual withdrawal activity. Anyway, no more atm's for a while. All my business will transacted over the counter for a while.

Do you have a laser card? You can get cashback in most shops which is a bit more secure - just make sure to cover the PIN pad in the shops too!

Thanks for that moneyhoney. I don't have a laser card yet but I guess it would not solve my problem at an ordinary atm!

No, but it does give you the cashback option. Also, avoid using ATMs on street/in shopping centres. In-store ones tend to be less of a target for those pesky skimmers!

I put my whole hand over the numbers and use different fingers to key in the numbers, Dont know if this actually works but it makes you think you are being being careful. even if its silly.

i am shocked to hear that this sort of thing can happen in such a busy shopping centre. i have used that atm myself but not recently, thank god. i won't be using it again, not after hearing that.

Alex.

Covering the keypad when entering your PIN is a good security tip. More security tips .

ClubMan said:
Covering the keypad when entering your PIN is a good security tip. More security tips .
It is but it won't protect you if they use a fake keypad over the real one. This is becoming more popular with the skimmers, ie put a whole new front facisa on the machine.

I think the banks should be providing security at these atms such as cameras so they know when someone has affixed a false fascia!

I would imagine it would actually be in the bank's (or their insurers?) own interest to ensure that ATMs are more secure as they are the ones that take the hit when there has been fraudulent activity on a customer's account.

cuchulainn said:
I put my whole hand over the numbers and use different fingers to key in the numbers, Dont know if this actually works but it makes you think you are being being careful. even if its silly.

I do the same thing ( looks like i'm playing the piano :D ) but beats the closed fist with the index finger sticking out like I have seen several people do over the last few weeks.

As for the security camera issue - at least two of the ATMs I use regularly have
cctv coverage. If banks have to pay out for this type of fraud as they did for the op I would have thought it was to their benefit to install cctcv at all branches.

ClubMan said:
Would you pay higher bank charges to fund this service?
The other side of this argument is when will the banks suffer enough loss to make it viable for them to provide better ATM security.

I always make it look like I am pressing a load of buttons on a genuine keypad. The correct numbers do be in there somewhere though. That way I am confusing the criminal if they are watching the keypad through a camera. If the keypad or facia look suspicious I don't use the machine at all. It is vey worrying what is happening out there.

Mimi

CCOVICH said:
I would imagine it would actually be in the bank's (or their insurers?) own interest to ensure that ATMs are more secure as they are the ones that take the hit when there has been fraudulent activity on a customer's account.

Do they generally take the hit nowadays. I know in the early days of "phantom withdrawals" the banks used to often completely deny that anything could possibly have gone wrong and say it must have been the cardholder or a family member. I know even today they will raise that possibility but have been known to refund the withdrawals eventually in some cases. Anyone know of any statistics on how often they actually do take the hit?

I don't have any statistics to hand, but any stories I have read about customers who have been the victim of fraud have been reimbursed by the bank.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the amounts paid to customers are covered by insurance.

I on the other hand have heard stories where the bank denied liability and never refunded any money.

Back