Athenry, County Galway

Micky

Morning all

I'm looking at all the usual sites with a view to buying an investment property in Athenry. Apparently, there are plans to link same to Limerick and Tuam via rail at some stage. Average price in or around 295,000 to 300,000 for a standard semi.

Any opinions?

I hear it's a good place to live but whatever you do, don't touch Trevelyan's corn. He is quiet protective of it and can get you in alot of trouble.

Seriously though, I only lived there for six months about two years ago but I really liked it. I believe it has really built up recently though like all of Galway.

Recent advertising posts removed-please read and abide by the Posting Guidlelines.

Been living there for a year now - nice town - all ameneties within "5-10 minutes walk"

Quiet town compared to the bustle of Galway.

Recent census show pop now at 4,041 up from 2,154 in 2002.

2 existing primary and 2 seconcary schools
1 new primary and 1 new secondary gael scoil opened this year

Most estates within "5 minutes" walk of town centre.

Rail link to Ennis/Limerick due 2008 - "Commuter" rail to Galway due 2010????

N6 from Dublin to Galway - passes 2 miles south of town construction starts early 2007, competion due in 2010/11??

Commute to eastern suburbs of Galway city is 35 minutes leaving at 0730
20 minutes off peak

Train commute to city centre is 20 minutes leaving at 0800

Weekly train ticket is €28 - service not great as return is either 1500h or 1830h in the evening - makes for a short or long day! Needs to be combined with bus - which has better timings - but longer jurney time - see car commuting times.

Probably need city bus pass as well at €14/month.
So there is an extra 123.2/month expense for tenants who are not driving

For those driving - increased commute time of 35 minutes compared to outer Galway suburbs.

Taxi fare from Galway - Athenry is approx €27-30

For the above reasons - rental market is more couples/young families.

Rents are closer the 750/month mark Vs 900 for a 3 bed in Galway

Hope this helps

C

Been living there for a year now - nice town - all ameneties within "5-10 minutes walk"

Quiet town compared to the bustle of Galway.

Recent census show pop now at 4,041 up from 2,154 in 2002.

2 existing primary and 2 seconcary schools
1 new primary and 1 new secondary gael scoil opened this year

Most estates within "5 minutes" walk of town centre.

Rail link to Ennis/Limerick due 2008 - "Commuter" rail to Galway due 2010????

N6 from Dublin to Galway - passes 2 miles south of town construction starts early 2007, competion due in 2010/11??

Commute to eastern suburbs of Galway city is 35 minutes leaving at 0730
20 minutes off peak

Train commute to city centre is 20 minutes leaving at 0800

Weekly train ticket is €28 - service not great as return is either 1500h or 1830h in the evening - makes for a short or long day! Needs to be combined with bus - which has better timings - but longer jurney time - see car commuting times.

Probably need city bus pass as well at €14/month.
So there is an extra 123.2/month expense for tenants who are not driving

For those driving - increased commute time of 35 minutes compared to outer Galway suburbs.

Taxi fare from Galway - Athenry is approx €27-30

For the above reasons - rental market is more couples/young families.

Rents are closer the 750/month mark Vs 900 for a 3 bed in Galway

Hope this helps

C
Grumpyoldman,
if there were more people like you in this country willing to be that helpful what a great place it would be----- take a bow

Back