Assurance on Parents Lives

Marie

Not confident this is the correct forum but perhaps moderator will shunt to correct place.

Moving home. Came across old documents from Irish Assurance Company Ltd, Irish Life and Royal Liver Friendly Society. It seems my parents assured their own lives and those of us children. They are in a language difficult to interpret. My brother died in 1996 but the 'policy' was not claimed. My mother died in 2002 and I paid for her funeral. There is a Whole Life Assurance Table from Irish Life A. in front of me assuring her life for £58 pounds 4 shillings at age 43 years payable at a premium of 1/- (a shilling) weekly). The weekly visits of "the Insurance Man" which we used to sing out to the parents as children doubtless stopped many years ago, certainly in my mother's last years. Are all these documents - and policies - null and void?

Thanks Vanilla. These old certificates and hand-written Receipt Books in shillings and pence are so much "of the past" I assumed the firms were long since absorbed into multinationals. I will do a bit more research considering what the accumulation on 10/-shillings over 50 years would be..............

Marie - I was executor for my mother's estate a couple of year's ago. Part of the estate was the big plastic bag full of documentation from her (and my Dad's) insurance policies with Royal Liver. They paid religously into this for over 60 years (the man used to call to the house every Friday!) and wrote in their books. In any event, once I furnished Royal Liver with some references which were on the books, they paid out on the policies (we hadn't claimed my Dad's when he died). The sum total of the payment was under €800, and they'd been paying into it for so long!!! In any event, Royal Liver are very helpful with old records with the minimum reference point. Good luck.

From what you say it would be worthwhile photocopying all this stuff which I was just about to throw into the recycling as I'm busy clearing attic etc. to move house. Thank you Eithneangela and Vanilla.

Back