Asst. Systems Officer role at Dublin City Council vs Executive Officer(EO) ICT role at Civil Service

TestLink

Hi,
I have an offer from Dublin City Council for an Asst. Systems Officer role. At the moment I am working as Executive Officer (EO) ICT role at Civil Service.

Executive Officer salary is 29,000 with 21 days annual leave
Asst. Systems Officer salary is 41,700 with 31 days annual leave

I am bit confused whether to take the DCC job offer. Any one here knows the work environment at Dublin City Council esp. in their IT department?

Any advice / suggestions in this regard?

I know it's not much help but 31 days???!!! I presume that includes bank holidays.

What's stopping you from taking it? A 40% increase in pay and an additional 10 days annual leave makes me wonder what there is to consider.

Would you lose flexi-time? Presumably.

Did you apply for HEO recently or AP in the Civil Service, if not, why not, if yes how did you get on? How long have you been an EO?

With many more open competitions in the Civil Service moving out to the Public Service won't impact on your ability to apply for those jobs as would have been the case in previous years, so that's a plus. However, depending on the age profile of your potential new bosses you could have a wait for your next promotion internally.

There is the possibility that you could be "stuck" in that (presumably) small enough work area, does your work commute change for the worse?

No-one who doesn't work in the unit currently can really give you advice as to what it's like to work there.

What's stopping you from taking it? A 40% increase in pay and an additional 10 days annual leave makes me wonder what there is to consider.

Would you lose flexi-time? Presumably.

Did you apply for HEO recently or AP in the Civil Service, if not, why not, if yes how did you get on? How long have you been an EO?

With many more open competitions in the Civil Service moving out to the Public Service won't impact on your ability to apply for those jobs as would have been the case in previous years, so that's a plus. However, depending on the age profile of your potential new bosses you could have a wait for your next promotion internally.

There is the possibility that you could be "stuck" in that (presumably) small enough work area, does your work commute change for the worse?

No-one who doesn't work in the unit currently can really give you advice as to what it's like to work there.

There is Flexi Time at DCC

No I havent applied for AP or HEO ICT roles.

Only couple of months in CS EO role

May be try DCC for some time and then try for AO / HEO / AP roles

Are you specifically looking to stay in ICT roles? Just wondering why you didn't apply for the recent open APO competition.

By the way, well done, that's some achievement after only a few months as an EO!

Is there a chance you'll be confined to ICT roles in DCC, in the wider Civil Service you won't be confined to those roles as at your level it's management not technical knowledge that counts.

Is there shift work expected in DCC?

Are you specifically looking to stay in ICT roles? Just wondering why you didn't apply for the recent open APO competition.

By the way, well done, that's some achievement after only a few months as an EO!

Is there a chance you'll be confined to ICT roles in DCC, in the wider Civil Service you won't be confined to those roles as at your level it's management not technical knowledge that counts.

Is there shift work expected in DCC?

I think I need management experience for AP roles which I doesnt have at the moment. Also need experience in large IT environments.

No shift work at DCC

I only like IT roles and not generic clerical or EO roles.

Back