Assistance with Form 11 Returns

I have no idea if, should you miss the myAccount deadline, you can opt to become self assessed and do it via form 11/ROS. I wouldn't have thought so because it's normally Revenue who decide who is and is not self-assessed based on their income sources etc.?
No, an individual can opt for self-assessment.

No flexibility in
(a) paying the pension premium
(b) filing the return without imposition of surcharge, or
(c) filing the return without disallowment of tax relief on pension payment?
If a PAYE individual using only myAccount wants to claim tax relief on a pension contribution in 2022 against income in 2021 then they must make the contribution and file the return on myAccount before October 31st 2022.

Last edited:
If a PAYE individual using only myAccount wants to claim tax relief on a pension contribution in 2022 against income in 2021 then they must make the contribution and file the return on myAccount before October 31st 2022.
That doesn't advance your earlier "no flexibility" claim though, although you may well be correct.

I found this, which says essentially the same thing, albeit in different words. Note the highlighted bit particularly.

Contributions paid to a PRSA for AVC purposes​

Tax relief for PRSA AVCs is based on the appropriate age-related percentage limit of the income from the employment in question. (As reduced by any employee contributions to the pension scheme relating to the employment).

You may pay a once-off or special pension contribution after the end of a tax year , but before the following 31 October. If you do, you can choose, on or before 31 October, to have the tax relief for the contributions allowed in the earlier tax year. When you use the Revenue Online Service (ROS), the deadlines for paying contributions and making this choice are extended .

I'm pretty sure ClubMan is wrong - MyAccount will still allow AVC claims for 2021 up until today (I have just gone in and verified this - kudos to Revenue for fixing all the peak season IT issues they used to have around filing dates!).

See the last sentence in Tommy's Revenue quote above.

Sorry if I am not making my self clear. I appreciate the time you are all putting into this. Yesterday I did use "myaccount" to do what suggested (relax carry on). That is:

Once in the return click next till you get to the tab for tax credits and reliefs and go to the AVC field and click the edit button to enter your details.

This is shown in the second image in my first post above. The bottom of the image shows the AVC tax relief claim.

I have two question at this stage.
1. Is what I have done correct (using myaccont) and what is the deadline for doing it using "myaccount" as opposed to ROS or is it the 16/11/22 for both.
2. Or can I only use ROS to to claim the tax relief
What you describe sounds fine. Indeed you have proved it's possible to submit 2021 AVC claims after 31st October - I believe the online filing deadline is today. I expect that tomorrow this functionality will be locked out. You do need to click through the other screens to complete and submit the online return today if you haven't done so @ROS .

You should additionally upload the AVC certificate from your pension provider under My Receipts in My Account. This is optional, but may speed up processing of your return (pre-empting any request for receipts).

Last edited:
As I said already, you can claim pension tax relief for 2021 via myAccount and the deadline there is October 31st 2022 with no flexibility in my direct and indirect experience and as advised by my financial advisor.
Have you had an AVC claim made online after 31st Oct rejected previously?

Is it possible your advisor is trying to discourage last minute filing? If they stand over this advice as current, please PM me their name so I never use them.

I'll come back and update this thread in 5-10 days with my own experience of a 2021 "late" filing. Worst case I carry forward the AVC relief to this year.

I found this, which says essentially the same thing, albeit in different words. Note the highlighted bit particularly.

The bit that you highlighted says exactly what I have been saying.
You may pay a once-off or special pension contribution after the end of a tax year , but before the following 31 October. If you do, you can choose, on or before 31 October, to have the tax relief for the contributions allowed in the earlier tax year.

Sorry, missed that bit in your post.

Maybe they've facilitated the 16th November extension to myAccount users from this year but after that (or maybe simply after October 31st?) the ability to claim relief against the previous tax year is certainly gone as far as I know and have experienced. That's the lack of flexibility that I was referring to. It'll be interesting to see if @MugsGame's late claim works and if the option disappears from myAccount from tomorrow.

Me, a few years ago.
A family member last year.
Obviously some people are not going to be convinced though.
Thanks for your patience with my antagonistic approach :)

Can I jusk ask - where your claim was rejected - when did you pay the rejected AVC in relation to the claim year i.e. during the tax year, before 31st Oct the following year or before mid-Nov the following year? I'm seeing contradictory guidance online for payments made between 31st October and 16th November (although Tommy's Revenue quote above claims this is allowed for 'ROS' filers, so that might be the distinction).

I had perhaps incorrectly assumed that where Revenue say 'ROS' that this includes all online filing including My Account - the website is still ros.ie after all! However, I've just found this Revenue brief which lends support to your position that there is a distinction between the self-assessment Form 11 ROS online filing date (today) and the PAYE online filing date (presumably 31st October).

For customers who file their 2021 Form 11 return and make the appropriate payment through ROS for:

• Preliminary Tax for 2022, and
  • Income Tax balance due for 2021
the due date is extended to Wednesday, 16 November 2022.
Looks like I may well be eating humble pie on this in a week or two. @ROS your My Account AVC claim may well be rejected, but the worst case scenario is you claim the relief against 2022 (reducing the maximum amount of tax relief you can claim for true 2022 payments).

Although, my own late claim AVC was actually paid in March 2021 - it's possible a late claim for this will be allowed (since I'm not electing to back-date - it actually happened in the correct year), even where an AVC made before 31st October 2022 would be rejected for back-dating to 2021 (the amount in my case is quite small - I'd made a much larger direct AVC in January 2021 which I already received relief for during 2021 via updated TFA certificate to employer).

Last edited:
Revenue finally processed my 2021 tax return and released my revised statement of liability / balancing statement today. It looks like my final 2021 AVC which I did not claim until 16 Nov 2022 was not allowed. However, I have asked them to review this decision on the basis that I paid the AVC contribution in 2021, so I should have 4 years to make a return claiming relief for it; I am not electing to back-date. If they stick with their decision I'll appeal to TaxAppeals.ie.

Interestingly, although my own case was not an election to back-date, Revenue's own pensions manual says this:
3.4 Relief for special contributions
... If a contribution is paid after the end of the year, but before 31 October of the following year, relief may be claimed for the previous year provided an election to do so is made by the individual on or before 31 October of the following year.
... Taxpayers who file and pay online via the Revenue Online Service (ROS) or myAccount may avail of the extended return filing and payment date to make an election and pay a contribution.
and relevant to my case
A claim for tax relief must be made within four years of the end of the year of assessment in which a contribution is made or is treated as having been made.

Just to update on the above - late last week, Revenue responded to my request to re-review my 2021 return (submitted mid-Nov) and balancing statement (issued mid-Dec), and have now allowed my full AVC claim for 2021. They didn't say why they didn't allow it initially.

I wasn't electing to back-date though (just declaring a 2021 event after 31st Oct 2022), so it would seem wise, where back-dating, to claim by 31st Oct, given @ClubMan 's experience. Although, the Revenue pensions manual (which I quoted above) specifically states that elections to back-date can use the extended online filing date, so I think an appeal would be in order if Revenue intially decline to accept such an election.

@ROS was your election to backdate relief to 2021 allowed, despite being filed after 31st Oct?

Back