Asked to produce license insurance over the phone

Aidantfc

I got a telephone call from a garda today. First he said I had to produce license and insurance..... Hé said i had to cause he asked me.
Is that right I was at my desk not in a car. It is taxed and insured and have a full license. This can't be right.
Secondly he asked me to go in and chat about a complaint made against me. Racking my brains here. I'm no angel I'm afraid this could get out of control.
Any advice please?

he said I had to produce license and insurance....
Secondly he asked me to go in and chat about a complaint made against me.
Any advice please?

Produce your licence / insurance, listen to what the garda has to say, and take it from there.

Last edited:
This sounds a bit odd to me, a garda contacted you at your desk at work is this what your saying.

This is standard process where someone has made a complaint about your driving to the Gardai.

You will need to go to the station, produce your licence and insurance and find out what the complaint is. They may request you go to a specific station at a time the Garda dealing with the complaint is available to deal with you.

They will take a statement from you where you give your side of the story. They will then decide on how to proceed, and much of that will come down to the seriousness of the alleged offence, any evidence that the complainant can provide (independent witnesses, dash or other camera footage for example). If it's just a matter of their word versus yours, it's very unlikely it will go any further.

If the person who contacted is Guard, s/he would have given their name and the station they're attached to. Get the number of the station, ring back and ask to speak to said member.

Thanks for all that info. My friend
Spoke to garda. There is a complaint. With some video. He doesn't have to say anything. His choice. Or he can give a statement under caution. He has an appointment to see solicitor next week.
He stopped to have words with a driver who did something silly. It appears he shouldn't have stopped.? As It stopped traffic. That may be a problem for the gardai.
Any views on that issue?
Thanks

It will be difficult if not impossible for anyone here to predict the outcome here without having viewed the video and first hand experience of the Garda assigned and their desire to push a matter like this to a charge.

If they go to the Garda in question, and don't come across like transgressions like this are a common occurrence, there's a better chance they'll walk away without it going any further.

Your initial post was I and now it is he, if this relates to yourself then you were there and you know if you did something wrong or not, same goes for the driver of the car if it was not you.

Engage with the process, meet the Garda who is investigating and take your or his opportunity to discover more about what is alleged.

Thanks for those comments
I'm afraid I didn't know half the potential problems involved. I like to be at least a little informed
My friend is not rying to duck it. Just get info.

Just the start of the process. But thanks.

You or your friend should go in to the Garda station, produce licence, insurance etc make things as easy as possible for the guard. Give the guard every opportunity to close the case off. If the guard invests significant time in the matter, they will be under pressure to produce an "outcome".

The guard cannot close the case without reporting that they have spoken to the person complained about, confirmed that they were not driving with insurance etc.

Back