Asked to come back to office

Status
Not open for further replies.
But i do agree with you that employee should consider following their managers order unless they themselves have good reason not to....its not clear from OPs posts what the full situation is.
That's the crux of it. Good communication and rationality is the best way forward. When people start quoting the law or policies or guidance it's a sign of a bad industrial relations environment.

These things, whilst important in their own way, are crutches and refuges for wasters who want to game the system.

This whole conundrum around returning to the office is manna from heaven for the type of waster we’ve all come across over the course of our working lives.

There’ll always be eejits looking to milk the system though, unfortunately.

But i do agree with you that employee should consider following their managers order unless they themselves have good reason not to....its not clear from OPs posts what the full situation is.
There's no consider about it, simply refusing to follow a direct order is likely to end up in the disciplinary process.

A friend on mine works in the HR department of a State body. There are 6 people on the "Team". He sent a mail to his boss, copying the entire management team in, saying that 3 of the team had had issues with accessing their mails and logging on from home since the start of the lockdown as they had not done so once in 18 months but the good news was that the two that were working were more than able to keep up with the workload so clearly the department was over staffed and it was a great opportunity to save money. It's fair to say that he's caused a bit of a storm.

Last edited:
A friend on mine works in the HR department of a State body. There are 6 people on the "Team". He sent a mail to his boss, copying the entire management team in, saying that 3 of the team had had issues with accessing their mails and logging on from home since the start of the lockdown as they had not done so once in 18 months but the good news was that they two that were working were more than able to keep up with the workload so clearly the department was over staffed and it was a great opportunity to save money. It's fair to say that he's caused a bit of a storm.
He's either looking for a promotion, or a severance package ;)

Either way, he'll probably be lynched for not trying to claim overtime, to work through the 18mth back log of emails :(

These things, whilst important in their own way, are crutches and refuges for wasters who want to game the system.

This whole conundrum around returning to the office is manna from heaven for the type of waster we’ve all come across over the course of our working lives.

There’ll always be eejits looking to milk the system though, unfortunately.
I'd say your' great craic to work with... But probably your HR Dept's worst nightmare ;) :D:D:D

He's either looking for a promotion, or a severance package ;)

Either way, he'll probably be lynched for not trying to claim overtime, to work through the 18mth back log of emails :(

More significantly, the team manager involved should be summoned to head office and asked to explain why s/he had allowed a situation to evolve where 60% of the team members had done nothing for the past 18 months.

More significantly, the team manager involved should be summoned to head office and asked to explain why s/he had allowed a situation to evolve where 60% of the team members had done nothing for the past 18 months.
The work is getting done and none of them can really be sanctioned anyway so what's the point?

Good luck in the Labour Court and with future hiring...
I’ve never come across anyone who’s gone to the Labour Court and hiring has never been a problem if you go after people who aren’t afraid of a bit of graft.

Like a lot of people, if I started quoting legislation every time I was asked to do something, I wouldn’t make it very far.

I remember putting in 18 hour days…that’s 90 hours a week…probably illegal.

Good luck in the Labour Court and with future hiring...

All too often, it's well worth losing a Labour Court case in order to get rid of a complete waster - the only risk is that you might be ordered to reinstate the individual! (And here I'm drawing from the experience of my sibling who has laboured at the HR coalface for over 40 years.)

Are you a member of the Monty Python team or something? :rolleyes:
You’ll have to explain that one to me, sorry. The point is that in lots of businesses, e.g. professional practice, aircraft leasing, financial services, etc, senior people get paid pretty well. However, the flipside is that they often work insanely long hours and operate in an environment where, in practice, niceties such as Organisation of Working Time Acts etc simply don’t apply. And the person who whinges about it gets zero bonus and gets managed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back