Ashes - will you be getting them

DB74

Just wondering how many people will be receiving ashes today as it seems to be a dying tradition.

I won't anyway

It is still a fairly popular practice. I don't have any problem with it. It all depends on ones belief and religion is a matter of personal freedom.

I don't think I will go to hell if I have the steak and chips tonight or on Good Friday.
Every religion has their own traditions and rituals.
Personal choice.
i

No.

Haven't had them for many years now.

But will still be going off a few things to make a sacrifice.

Just wondering how many people will be receiving ashes today as it seems to be a dying tradition.

I won't anyway

I think the only ones who should be getting ashes today are the Pope and the Irish bishops who spent the last few days with him. I've never seen an organisation so detached from reality!

I thought the thread was about Cricket when I saw the title... just shows how much of a heathen I have become!

+1 :D

Is it actually meant to be a cross BTW?

If so, very little effort put in I have to say based on the blobs and afterthoughts I usually see.

Seriously though, the whole lenten sacrifice thing still seems to be reasonably popular AFAIK even if the ashes aren't? Seems to be a fairly Irish thing too as I know a few pretty religious Poles/Italians etc who seem a little bemused by the concept.

Presumably only practising (or mix and match) catholics will get them?

As for me. That would be a No.

Presumably only practising (or mix and match) catholics will get them?

I think maybe members of the Greek orthodox church might get them too but within christianity I don't think anyone else does, no.

Greek orthodox church

Edit: From googling, it seems they don't. Episcopalians do though apparently - maybe that's what I was thinking of. Sure dere all de same dem funny religions. ;)

A girl in work came in with ashes this morning and a couple of people were laughing about it when she went out of the room. I thought that was pathetic.

Seems to be a good few walking the streets in Limerick with ashes, i was a bit surprised by the age profile actually.

Won't be getting ashes - never do but do always give up something for lent. Mind you for me this isn't a religious sacrifice - it's just a good excuse to stop eating rubbish and crap for 40 days and I've always done it. I always associate Lent with the trocaire box and so always give up eating rubbish and put the money into the box instead.

I thought the thread was about Cricket when I saw the title... just shows how much of a heathen I have become!

I thought it had to do with cremation when I saw the title!! Obviously another heathen here then...!

A girl in work came in with ashes this morning and a couple of people were laughing about it when she went out of the room. I thought that was pathetic.

Should they pity her instead?

Seriously, what's the difference between her coming in with ashes on her head and coming in after Christmas talking about what Santa got her? Both acts are based on believing a fairy tale...

Maybe they should just let her practice her religion without sneering at her. She's just quietly getting on with her work, not asking them why they haven't gone to Mass and got ashes as well.

Maybe they should just let her practice her religion without sneering at her. She's just quietly getting on with her work, not asking them why they haven't gone to Mass and got ashes as well.

I agree she should be allowed live her life however she wants, but the reality is she is living her life according to a fantasy and to me this would suggest she has some issues.

So every practising Catholic in the country has issues. :confused: How about Jews, or Muslims or Protestants?

Back