Ashbourne, Co Meath, Archerstown Woods

B

bubbles1

Hi ,

Does anybody know much bout this development...i am thinking of buying a 4 bed semi detached and its working out at 595k for phase 2. now i may hold off till phase 3 but the only thing is that these are selling slow enough..a guy i know in the mortgage indutry said that because the selling is so slow on them taht iy may be possible that they may not be as expensive in phase 3 ..personally i find it hard to believe...all omments would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Cheers

Re: Ashbourne, Archerstown Woods

Been on the search for a four bedroom house with large garden for over a year. Looked mostly on the the Northside of Dublin due to work commitments. However haven’t been able to find anywhere in a good area within financial reach, without the house requiring 100K+ in renovations. So put a deposit down on a place in Archerstown Wood last week. Haven't signed contracts yet, so have some time now determine if it is value for money (if such a term is relevant anymore), commute times to Dublin, amenities, schools etc …. It would have been more of an incentive to sign if the developer had thrown in kitchen appliances, Garden Decking etc… but they didn’t. We did find the price somewhat high but then again Ashbourne is no further out of town than say Donabate. As Swords in supposed to be only 20min commute away, then hopefully be able to use park&ride for the Metro in 2012 (2040 more like it), when its finally built. The selling agent said that prices had been frozen from phase1. So it is possible that phase 3 may see a reduction.

Re: Ashbourne, Archerstown Woods

We also put a deposit down for a 4 bed semi at the weekend. We're given a 2% reduction on the price if we sign contracts by the end of march. However, I don't know if that is a goer for us since it would require that a buyer sign the contract on our house in the meantime. Lovely houses though we'd like to get a south facing garden, and we're considering a wait for phase 3. Were you told about any south facing garden in this phase?

South facing garden for us was a pre-requisite. That is interesting regarding you getting a 2% deduction if you sign before the end of March. We were offered nothing. Went back this weekend to have a second look to make sure we were doing the right thing. Selling agent sort of implied that any incentives given to sell the remaining properties would be passed on the those who have already committed. I would doubt that however. Did not see the plans for phase3. We aren't putting our existing place on the market till June as the house in Archerstown will not be ready till October.

Can I ask you when you put the deposit down. I originally wanted the south facing garden but apparently none were available.

We put a deposit down Saturday the 17th on a 5 bed detached. I rang the selling agent and they confirmed that a 2% discount is on offer for selected homes with North facing gardens. If you compare the state of the gardens between the North facing 5 bedroom show house and the south facing semi-D show house, there was a remarkable difference.

Do you have any idea when phase 3 is? Starting to think that I should wait for the south facing garden.

Hi ,

Does anybody know much bout this development...i am thinking of buying a 4 bed semi detached and its working out at 595k for phase 2. now i may hold off till phase 3 but the only thing is that these are selling slow enough..a guy i know in the mortgage indutry said that because the selling is so slow on them taht iy may be possible that they may not be as expensive in phase 3 ..personally i find it hard to believe...all omments would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Cheers

hi all, sorry to dig up a really old thread but we are considering buying a house in Archerstown Wood, if we can sell our existing house in Santry that is. To those of you currently residing there is there anything you would recommend i watch out for with the builder etc? We will likely be negotiating directly with them. I suppose just looking for confirmation that these houses are a good build and finished to a high spec. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Hi ,
i live in another estate , the Briars in Ashbourne built by the same builder Broadway builders ( John Mullen) approx 4 to 5 years ago.
Their work and finish is very good we ahve never had any problems if you take a drive into the Briars you will see how he finishes off an estate and i
would recommend the quality of their work, also he came back no problem and promptly to any issues we had, after 5 years only last week i stopped John and asked him could he get a street lamp fixed outside my house as the bulb had gone , fixed the next week , need i say more
ps i have no affiliation to the builder.
there are alot of unsold properties in Archerstown wood and about 6 inthe briars so id say John would be willing to negotiate price and do a deal etc
best of luck.

thanks finbar, my brother lives in the briars so I am very familiar with it. They are very happy there and have had no problems since moving in at all! I spoke to Billy Mullen on the phone and asked about a price on one of the 5 beds, I wasnt happy with his answer but I didnt get into negotations either as we havent put our own house on the market as yet. I am sure when the time comes he will be flexible, just need to get moving on shifting our current house first! Thanks for the reply!

also thinking of buying in archerstown wood just wondering what its like i visited there and noticed that the estate is only half finished wonder how long before it is finished dont fancy living on building site for ever i also tried to phone the builder but phone seems to be disconnected which is not a good sign be delighted f or some answers thanks

I live in Ashbourne,I love it out here,Everything is on your doorstep.10 mins to the m50,30 mins to city centre.20 mins to airport,we have tescos,dunnes, super value,lidl aldi,gyms and whay hay our own cinema now too.There are lovely resturants and bars and it still has that town feel.I moved here 5 years ago and am very settled here.Archerstown is a gorgeous development.very handsome homes.They are a stroll from the town centre.The prices like all homes have dropped dramatically, so you would be getting a better deal than those who bought in the boom,however they are still on the luxury end of the housing market and therefore I feel they have the most scope to drop further.if you are selling and gaining and not increasing your mortgage,then why not.I wouldn't be topping up to buy though.hope this helps

thanks lilliesmom, they have indeed come down further so possibly achievable now in the way you have mentioned, we would not have to get a much bigger mortgage than our existing one (given we can sell our existing property). Cosmo are you seriously considering purchasing? For us, I think this would be a dream home, I love the layout of the estate, the fact that the houses look individual, there is a good deal of green space in the estate and gardens are generous. We just need to sort one or two things out now before we are ready to put a sign up in the front garden, I dont think we will be making an offer until this place is sold. I wonder has there been much interest given the reduced price...

Hi there, i know this is an old thread but does anyone have anything new to say in relation to Archerstown Wood? Would you still say its a good place to buy a house? Myself and my partner are both 1st time buyers so any advice is good advice!
Thank you! :)

Hi,

Bought in Ashbourne years ago, not in Archerstown. Haven't heard anything negative about the houses etc but personally wouldn't fancy the drive into the estate with the hoarding and wasteland on the way in. Haven't been up there in a long while but the last time I was, there was quite a few houses unfinished? I would double check that in time the estate will be properly finished and so forth before buying. My two cents for what they are worth, there are nicer, smaller and importantly for me if I was buying, finished estates in Ashbourne. It's always tough to know when you are making the right decision but best of luck with what you decide to do

@ Jenks - Hi there, I'm from Ashbourne, currently trying to sell my house actually and considering buying in Archerstown too. Other than whats has been mentioned regarding the approach to the estate being a bit dodgy looking, our big issue with buying there is most of the available homes are small north facing back gardens so thats not too appealing, overall though nice estate and well designed homes. If you fancy taking a gander at ours the ID on my home is 212886.

Hi!

@explorer thank you so much for your advice. Myself and my partner were put off by the boarding along the drive in to the estate. The estate agent for Archerstown Wood said that it was the builder of the estate beside AW that owned them and he couldn't tell us if they were going to be moved in the near future or what was to be done about them. Its a absolute eyesore though it has to be said! And having said that.....we still really like the estate! It could be just the buyingourfirsthomerosetintedglasses but we do. There are currently 18 houses to be sold & completed & we were told that the builder has no intention of building more until these have been sold. Again thank you for the helpful tips, much appreciated :)

@Janev i just had a look at your house and its lovely! The only thing is we would ideally want a semi detached. Just putting those glasses back on again!! ;) The way the market is now we are thinking of holding out for the house that ticks as many boxes as we can. The Briars seems to be a nice estate too. 5 bed going on that for 295,000. Cant see it getting that money but shows things are going in the direction buyers want. Thanks again folks!

We're currently renting a 5 bed here whilst self building our new house. To be honest I definitely wouldn't buy a house here. Most of the larger houses have north facing gardens. The back garden is completely waterlogged from getting so little sun. The kitchen is pitch dark even in the morning.

The worst thing of all is the hoarding/ building site before you enter the estate. It really is an eye sore and the fencing frequently falls down when it's windy. There's also a large unkept green area on the other side of the building site . Our visitors have all commented on how terrible it looks.

The estate is on a hill with the result that the roads are very slippy even if it's only slightly frosty etc. I'm told it was awful when we had the bad weather last year.

Hi Emiso,
You have given us food for thought for definite.
I think we need to have a little think about things again and just widen our search a bit. We were really taken with Archerstown Wood at first but no doubt there are better out there. As time is going by its losing its sparkle
Thanks ;)

Back