Arriving Home From Abroad & Claiming Single Parent Benefit

taytoman

Hello. A close relative of mine lost her job in October of last year whilst working in the UK. She has worked in the UK for 10 years, and thus only has an Irish PRSI contribution record from the distant past.

She has a 2 year old son; Situation is complicated in that there is no father on the scene, and there never will be (ie there is no possibility of claiming child maintenance, I can't really explain the circumstances here).

She initially claimed either unemployment benefit or single parent benefit in the uk for a short period. She then went to Canada looking for work, but was unsuccessful. She returned to Ireland in May of this year, and has been looking for work since.

As she has savings over 20K (which I presume are being rapidly depleted), and is being refused any state benefits other than children's allowances because of her savings.

How does she access unemployment benefit or single parent benefit / medical card etc in this situation? I have some idea that she must work for a week here before claiming non- means assessed benefits?

Thanks in advance for any help

Back