Ark Life failed to cancel old policies after remortgaging

P

popacam

hi all!
several years ago i remortgaged twice and emigrated shortly afterwards.on reviewing me account i noticed that i was paying for three life insurance policies as arc life opened a new one each time but didnt cancel the old ones.when i noticed i made appointments to meet the rep at my local branch who told me to submit in writing my desire to end the obselete policies,which i did there and then.to my surprise a later statement showed the old policies were still active.i repeated the above steps but again months later i found the policies to be active still! eventually an irate visit to the bank resulted in the cancellations,finally!
my question is....is there any point in trying to recoup the money paid to these policies?if so then from the dates of the remortgages? or from the date of my first visit to the rep?
any insight would greatly be appreciated,thanks

I would guess you would be able to reclaim any fees paid from the date you submitted the first letter to cancel the policy.
Did you keep a copy of this letter?
Did they acknowledge receipt of this letter?

If they did you should get any excess fees paid, refunded to you.

Hi pop

This is a difficult one.

Ark Life made a mistake in not cancelling the policy when they issued a new one for the first remortgage.

Ark Life made a second mistake in not cancelling both policicies when they issued the third policy.

However, you should have noticed the money coming from the account earlier and you should have corrected their mistake.

Had you died, your estate would have benefitted from the extra insurance.

I think you should put your complaint in writing seeking a refund of all the extra money paid. They will make an offer to you. If you are not happy with it, then you can go to the Ombudsman.

Hi Bronte

Only for general insurance, I think. You can't insure your house for fire twice. So if €50,000 of damage is done to your house, you can't make a profit by claiming twice.

However, many people have an ordinary life insurance policy and then a separate mortgage protection policy.

brendan

I would guess you would be able to reclaim any fees paid from the date you submitted the first letter to cancel the policy.
Did you keep a copy of this letter?
Did they acknowledge receipt of this letter?

If they did you should get any excess fees paid, refunded to you.

hi fat boy thanks for the post.
looking back i was naive and didnt keep a copy.i also didnt recieve any acknowledgment.my letter is probably still in the bottom of the reps briefcase!

Hi pop

This is a difficult one.

Ark Life made a mistake in not cancelling the policy when they issued a new one for the first remortgage.

Ark Life made a second mistake in not cancelling both policicies when they issued the third policy.

However, you should have noticed the money coming from the account earlier and you should have corrected their mistake.

Had you died, your estate would have benefitted from the extra insurance.

I think you should put your complaint in writing seeking a refund of all the extra money paid. They will make an offer to you. If you are not happy with it, then you can go to the Ombudsman.

hi brendan,thanks for the advice.ill write as suggested with as much info as i can gain from my statements and post back here with news.

Back