Argos and guarantees

Lak

Are Argos within their rights not to replace an item that states on the packaging it has a two year guarantee.
I bought a water pump 14 months ago and went to use it to empty a paddling pool and it was not working, I had the receipt that stated it was bought in March last year and also the box which states the item is guaranteed for two years, Argos say they only guarantee for a year and I will have to contact Hozelock the manufacturer. I would assume any other shop you bought an item from that was emblazoned on the front with "Guaranteed two years" would have to honour this, mainly being the reason it would be purchased in the first instance.

Any advice gratefully received with thanks.

What if there's a fault with the product?

We've made it easier!
  • If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a replacement or a refund.
  • If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair it or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.
I copied the above from the Argos website, and it seems that they do only guarantee items for one year.

I recently returned a faulty kettle, with receipt, bought last October and received a replacement there and then, no questions asked.

From my understanding - Argos are responsible for this faulty product. They sold you the product, which had a guarantee for 2 years - it's up to them to follow up with their supplier on this, not you. Repair, Replace, Refund is what they should be offering you. Do NOT accept their reasoning of 1 year only.

Document all your dealings with them, get full names of who you talked to, dates & details of what was discussed. Ask to speak to a supervisor to try to resolve it, get their name etc & write it down in front of them. If no satisfaction there, then put it in writing with full details (some letter templates on the consumer web site) & send it in to Argos. Don't get aggressive when dealing with them, be confident, polite but firm and don't back down. Don't feel embarrassed if people are listening when you are discussing this in the shop - you are well within your rights on this.

Good luck with it...

Back