Argon in double glazing blocking wireless broadband signal

ludermor

I am having severe problems with my wireless broadband connection in the apartment. Aparently it is due to the argon gas in the double glazing, the speed does up substantially when the door or window is open. I have been told that to improve the connection to put a tiny pin hole in the seal of one window to let the argon out ,and leave the broddband thingy (technical term) beside this. Can anyone tell me what harm am i doing as im sure th gas is there for some reason and is it worth it?

Re: Argon in Double glazing

Sounds like a very drastic course of action. Surely the argon is there to improve insulation? Would you not be better off looking at an alternative broadband option such as wireless broadband with an external antenna or wired broadband of some sort? Maybe you could put the device in the attic and see if that helps?

the gas is there for heat and sound insulation purposes.. dont let it out....maybe try placing the wirless modem near an external wall vent and see what difference if makes....

its ground floor of an apartment so no dishes or receivers are allowed outside. have no need for phone line so dont want to go that route.
Im sure it there for a reason alright and its no bother having a window open these days but when it get chilly it would be more hassle

It may be possible to get a small external antenna that could be connected to the router, placed outside with the cable string inside through a vent or mavbe even the closed window, would not be noticeable so that anybody would complain and was weather resistant. What exact make and model of router is it (should be on a label on the bottom of the device or something like that)?

Ludermor,

Surley your engineer is the person to talk to on this??

Ill check the router, its a clearwire one. As i said im sure the gas is there for a reason thats why im asking the question. The area where there is a good reception is near a vent so i wil try that. It seems odd that with all the money they are pumping in to the wireless broadband infrastructure that they cannot overcome something as basic as double glazing.
Thank you hayabusa i will certainly check with my engineer, see no need for any nastiness. I accept your apology

To put a pin hole in the unit as someone advised you would break the seal on the double glazed unit therefore your double glazed unit would fog up and you would not see out to clearly - basically your double glazed unit would "break down". You could get a new d/g unit without the argon gas in it.

Problems such as this are arising from the use of Argon Gas in double glazing, also it interferes with mobile signal and if your window does not get the evening sun the double glazed unit may fog up on the outside. All the tests for the argon gas etc were conducted in scandanavia and sweden where they have a dry cold but we have a different atmoshere here in Ireland we have a damp cold. It has been discussed here on other threads previously.

Getting an pane with no argon in it is a good sugggestion, is argon the standard gas in double glazed units now?

no, the standard is simply air filled... argon is a slightly higher spec...

Get back on to Clearwire and see if the modem can take an external antenna.
They are generally very small I doubt anyone would notice it. Maybe theres a external space you can put the modem, like a boiler room or shed and run a cable to it?

be careful with putting an antenna up, no matter how small. You probably signed an agreement when you bought that is quite clear on this. The management company will probably be quite strict, as once a small one is allowed, what is to stop someone putting up a slightly larger on... and on... and on!
I am on the management committee of where I live,and this has been an issue in the past.
If in dount, drop them an email and get the go ahead first.

put a tiny pin hole in the seal of one window to let the argon out

Argon is superior for reducing heat transmission. Also if you put a hole in the seal to let the argon out, you will allow moisture in and the gap in your window will condense badly. You will negate any guarantee for the windows. The condensation looks unsightly and, if you've drilled a [tiny] "pin-hole", it WILL be very bad. The glass will have to be replaced and you're back to square one. Not a wise option to follow.

I don't think it's the Argon blocking the signal, it is more likely to be a Tin Oxide, or other metal film coating on the surface of the glass.

BUT !! ...it's the Clearwire way... it's the American way! ....

isn't it supposed to be bloody easier ????? hmm?

according to their annoying flippin ads?

Back