Are you embarassed to be Irish?

Why should we be ashamed?, does anyone ask the Greeks if they're ashamed?, or the French when they go on national strikes?

We should be angry, not ashamed, we're the ones who've been let down by incompetant regulators and politicians, and downright corrupt bankers (some of them).

What we are doing is stoically getting on with it and paying our debts (and those of others... but dont get me started!!), but we'll rise out of this. As another poster said I still see the things that make me proud to be Irish, and they have nothing to do with expensive German cars or foreign properties. If you hitched yourself to that wagon then yeah, its quite a fall.

Tiocfaidh ar la aris - 'cept it'll be like wiv fiscal stability and a normal debt to GDP ratio innit ;)

For the most part I am not embarrassed to be Irish, even the turkey didn't bother me that much but occasionally when I watch TV3, I can't believe some of the presenters come from the same planet as me never mind the same country. :D

Very atmospheric description. I'm very proud to be Irish and though I love to travel, there genuinely isn't anywhere else I'd like to live permanently. The feeling that people 'get you', you know; the irishness of you; the shared experience that doesn't need to be articulated or explained. A common understanding.

Believe me. Out here in Romania people also 'get' me. Probably more often than they'd like but this idea that you can't subsume into the local culture is something uniquely irish/english. You'll find that once you understand the language and 'get' the nuances it doesn't really matter where you live. People are people and humour is pretty much universal.

I'm very proud to be irish, buy the kids irish rugger-shirts, teach them to say 'Jaysus!' like they mean it etc. but they are what they are. Half windscreen-washing little gits. I'm killed telling them recently to be happy they live in Romania. Here they'll work for me. In Ireland they'd work for the IMF.

Didn't you get the memo? The IMF owns you and your children and their children.

I think embarrassment is very close to pride. None of us chose to be Irish but many of us have felt great pride in our origin and it saddens us to see the place go down the tubes.

The opposite of pride is indifference and the people who don't feel embarrassed at Ireland of the past 15 years probably felt no pride when it appeared that things were going well.

The opposite of pride is indifference and the people who don't feel embarrassed at Ireland of the past 15 years probably felt no pride when it appeared that things were going well.
Maybe they realised that appearances were deceptive?

There are a lot people who just got lucky with their timing that are now claiming to have been Buffet-like genius investors.

Know a few people who got lucky with their timing and more who saw the writing on the wall and sold. Don't know any claiming to be "Buffet-like genius investors", but I know an aweful lot of begrudgers.

I'm not embarassed to be Irish - I am however, embarassed that some other people are Irish..

I live in a very modest 3 bed-terrace with wife,2 kids and another on the way.We could really do with an extension but have decided to wait a whie - (my mother raised 10 of us in a similar sized property):D

The news gets me down every night these days but your health and family is your wealth..

I'm proud to be Irish and I'll be prouder when all the crooked people who got us into this great financial mess are jailed. I'll be prouder still when the underlings of the crooked people are jailed.

I'm proud to be Irish and I'll be prouder when all the crooked people who got us into this great financial mess are jailed. I'll be prouder still when the underlings of the crooked people are jailed.

The new "Tiocfaidh ár lá" ?? :rolleyes:

I'm proud to be Irish.

But the housing frenzy and the arrogance of some during the Celtic Tiger era was an embarrassment.

According to yesterday's report, Leper, we'll all be going to jail so! ;)

For those who are proud to be Irish - I feel like being positive today - so tell us the Irish things that make you proud!

One thing has to be the GAA. For an amateur organisation it really is one of the best in the world.

If we'd voted FF in again I'd be embarassed to be Irish. But we didn't, we got rid of them so I don't feel embarassed. Some people made right eejits of themselves during the boom, spending like there was no tomorrow, showing off, and behaving with no class. But you get nouveau riche tacky people everywhere, not just in Ireland.

Back