AIB Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Nothing here either, maybe they've changed tack and intend issuing them all together?!

God it likes waiting for Santa... at least we know that santa arrives on the 24th!! Another week of waiting and pouncing on the postman!!

I got a letter today just saying my account complaint was still under review. ( I had wrote to complain that I only went into arrears 8yrs ago because I was on a rate I could not sustain at the time and if I’d had my tracker I’d have been able to meet the payments). My Mortage was written down in June by €35000 like most here. I’m just waiting on the Cheque. Not sure if the complaint will delay it’s issue or if they will treat it separate.

I rang out of curiosity an hour ago and was told the some Cheques were issued today, bulk will be next week but a few won’t be until 31st August.

I appreciate Brendan the opportunity of venting my frustration in a thread here.

I'll leave out the expletives but I share the disgust and disdain most people here feel for AIB. Waiting until the last possible minute, yet again, to live up to their most basic obligations.

I generally dislike insurance companies and banks but somehow AIB manage to find that extra bit of salt to rub into peoples' wounds. Does anyone think that if the tables were reversed, they would take as long in making a calculation or demanding payment?

Into the final week of August we go and even then no guarantee we will all receive the cheque.

Simply infurating.

Totally agree @ Shay 75 and they refer to us as a “Cohort “ an insult in itself . I want to see figures in writing I rang twice and was given two different figures for amount taken off in July . I cannot access my mortgage account online as I bank with a different bank . I hope along with the cheques we will get some proper information and not just generic produced letters .

they refer to us as a “Cohort “ an insult in itself .

This is a widely used term. I use it myself. There is no insult involved.

It is used to stop the banks claiming that every case is different and should be judged on its merits i.e. no need to refund everyone, they have to apply for a refund themselves.

Brendan

I appreciate your use of the word Brendan and thank you for explaining it in terms of the banks however I do find the word an insult and one definition of same is “ a conspirator or accomplice “. All of this is none of my fault or any of the 5899 other people involved . I assume you appreciate that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and views .

I had never heard of that use. And it seems to me that you are just looking for yet another reason to be offended.

Here are the usual definitions. It is a widely used term and rarely has pejorative connotations, and then within a very specific context.

cohort (plural cohorts)

1. A group of people supporting the same thing or person. quotations ▼
  2. (statistics) A demographic grouping of people, especially those in a defined age group, or having a common characteristic.The 18-24 cohort shows a sharp increase in automobile fatalities over the proximate age groupings.
  3. (historical, Ancient Rome, military) Any division of a Roman legion, normally of about 500 men. quotations ▼Three cohorts of men were assigned to the region.
  4. An accomplice; abettor; associate.He was able to plea down his sentence by revealing the names of three of his cohorts, as well as the source of the information.
  5. Any band or body of warriors. quotations ▼
  6. (taxonomy) A natural group of orders of organisms, less comprehensive than a class.
  7. A colleague.
  8. A set of individuals in a program, especially when compared to previous sets of individuals within the same program.The students in my cohort for my organic chemistry class this year are not up to snuff. Last year's cohort scored much higher averages on the mid-term.

Last edited:
It’s seems to be that you do not appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion and if I am offended it is I that is offended not you and I am not expecting you to be . Perhaps look up the different meanings of the word “cohort “ and it’s different meanings in each different context it is used . I never insulted you or anyone in any of my posts so have some respect for other people’s views .

It’s seems to be that you do not appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion and if I am offended it is I that is offended not you and I am not expecting you to be . Perhaps look up the different meanings of the word “cohort “ and it’s different meanings in each different context it is used . I never insulted you or anyone in any of my posts so have some respect for other people’s views .
Your username is very apt...

Ireland seems to be on fire today. Having the letters to look forward to is like thousands of people having a really good night on Winning Streak (if Winning Streak is still on the telly!).

Some people in the cohort will feel entitled, some will feel relieved, some will feel grateful (I'm going to buy a new telly!) and most people will be shocked/surprised but universally this is something to be celebrated in the context of what is happening all around us, not bemoaned for having a few extra days to wait. How many people would love to be in our place.

Last edited:
@ Megafan I’m also going to buy a telly.. 55inch... but I’m also going to take up my local TD’s (recently appointed Ministers) offers of going before the Oireachtas. Funny how all the going on in Ireland today’s brought her offer to my mind.

Like Megafan said so many people would love to be in our position awaiting a substantial cheque in the post.

I understand antipathy towards AIB as a faceless, unfeeling bureaucracy but I really don't get people stressing themselves out every morning checking the post.

We have won a great victory against AIB and people should just enjoy it. Such things are pretty rare.

Last edited:
Like Megafan said so many people would love to be in our position awaiting a substantial cheque in the post.

I understood antipathy towards AIB as a faceless, unfeeling bureaucracy but I really don't get people stressing themselves out every morning checking the post.

We have won a great victory against AIB and people should just enjoy it. Such things are pretty rare.
As the Saying goes A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush so I’ll be checking my post

I understand antipathy towards AIB as a faceless, unfeeling bureaucracy but I really don't get people stressing themselves out every morning checking the post.

You can be happy about getting a cheque and still be very angry with AIB.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Some people lost their homes. With the greatest of respect, people should not be so flippant about what people went through, or how they feel.

If people are angry then they are angry. Nothing is helped by simply saying "don't be".

Let's all agree to get along.

Back