Are We Sufficiently "Green" Qualified?

Lusk should have thousands of more houses and apartments because of its location to Dublin ,
Dublin should have higher density housing with an underground with radial LUAS type connections out to large park and ride facilities such as the one at the Red Cow. The connection between the red and green lines is at Broon Bridge in Carba. There is no park and ride facility there.

Lusk should have thousands of more houses and apartments because of its location to Dublin ,

Sure it should. Because the trains and buses and roads and utilities that serve places like Lusk, Rush, Donabate, even Swords are in place to cater for the thousands of houses and apartments. Guess you have been involved in the Fingal planning department. Sure we will build the houses and then we can wait for everything else.

Dublin should have higher density housing with an underground with radial LUAS type connections out to large park and ride facilities such as the one at the Red Cow. The connection between the red and green lines is at Broon Bridge in Carba. There is no park and ride facility there.
I agree

It doesn't matter where you build them if you don't have the infrastructure. Have you ever tried commuting from Swords to the City Centre. I have flown to London quicker on occasion.

It doesn't matter where you build them if you don't have the infrastructure. Have you ever tried commuting from Swords to the City Centre. I have flown to London quicker on occasion.
You'll get better transport once there are more houses Built out that side of Dublin ,I know well it will take some time for supports to be put in place ,That's Ireland for you,

Last edited:
If Metrolink hadn't been interfered with so much by NIMBYs and Politicians backing them then the Railway Order for it would be in place by now and Swords would have a Metro in place by 2027. As it is, we'll have a half Metro in place by 2029 and be looking at revising the Railway Order by 2023 to extend it to Bray.

You'll get better transport once there are more houses Built out that side of Dublin ,I know well it will take some time for supports to be put in place ,That's Ireland for you,

That's not green then is it? And it's not just transport. Its electricity, water, broadband, cycle paths, recreation facilities, schools, local retail. Building houses before any of that is in place is how we have been planning for the last 30 years and look at the mess we are in. That is why we are so car dependent. Houses are always built with the promises that everything else will be provided but it never is. Swords have had successive Governments and councils promise a train line while thousands of acres were rezoned and built on. And they are still waiting.

That's not green then is it? And it's not just transport. Its electricity, water, broadband, cycle paths, recreation facilities, schools, local retail. Building houses before any of that is in place is how we have been planning for the last 30 years and look at the mess we are in. That is why we are so car dependent. Houses are always built with the promises that everything else will be provided but it never is. Swords have had successive Governments and councils promise a train line while thousands of acres were rezoned and built on. And they are still waiting.

Housing is one of the important pillars for change.

The last thing we need is a reiteration of ill-considered past development - social compaction devoid of infrastructural, community, environmental and architectural merit.

Taken as a whole Ireland will have to, rather quickly, transition away from the unsustainable to the sustainable in every sector – health, education, housing, transport, food, financial, IT, etc.

I see where you are coming from but you had a vote and still have , Time to vote green, or proper planning,
People voted for what you have at present no point in complaining , and because they voted for 30 years of inaction the will now have to put up with the results of the population increase in Dublin and no forward planning but new high rise houses/apartments have to go up near planned transport routes in and around Dublin for Ireland to become green ,
The main government parties are paying a price for supporting the NIMBYs , the people who supported then will also be paying a bigger price long term ,
Ireland cannot become Green and support the sticking plaster policies of FF/FG/LAB /SF any longer,
The cost of going green will be high good long term planned continual green Inprovement over time,

Last edited:
According to the Guardian:

“The composition of the green deal is another cause for despair. The so-called sustainable Europe investment plan waxes lyrical in the language of “mobilisation”, pledging to unlock billions of privately held euros in the interests of sustainable investment. Much like the Juncker plan before it, the green deal proposes to encourage private investment by shifting risk from privateers to the EU budget. But this does not reduce risk – it simply shifts it on to the shoulders of the European public, while ensuring that private investors enjoy all of the gains. Without a plan to coordinate energy production and distribution within a proper energy union, the commission’s commitment to private capital promises only to intensify inequalities within and between member states.”

This is the full article.

Sophrosyne, did you see who the author is?
You'd hardly expect anything different from a crackpot like Yanis Varoufakis.

That's my fear when it comes to being "Green Qualified"; people with a leftwing or rightwing agenda polluting the discussion with ideology rather than sticking to science.

I'll believe that next time I see a flock of pigs flying by. We have been trying to get better transport infrastructure for years. And where are you planning to have the children living in these extra thousands of houses go to school? The roads are already beyond capacity, the schools are overflowing, public transport is getting worse with the revised bus routes and timetables.

There is this amazing concept in place in many countries that just doesn't seem to exist in Ireland. It's called town and regional PLANNING. You plan before you start building, so you know what infrastructure is/will be needed, and pout it in place ahead of time. It's a load easier to build or upgrade a road before you have an extra 5000 cars a day driving along it.

I see where you are coming from but you had a vote and still have , Time to vote green, or proper planning,
People voted for what you have at present no point in complaining , and because they voted for 30 years of inaction the will now have to put up with the results of the population increase in Dublin and no forward planning but new high rise houses/apartments have to go up near planned transport routes in and around Dublin for Ireland to become green ,

You have a very simplistic view. Sticking with Fingal since I know it, people in that area have been voting Greens long before Green became cool. Trevor Sargent was elected back in 1992 and was elected every election after that. Didn't do much good did it? Greens will never be a majority party in Government (at least not in my lifetime) so telling people 'You voted for what you have at present so no point in complaining' is a bit of a silly thing to say. In my lifetime in Dublin, I have seen the Dart built, the M1 motorway, the M50 Motorway, The Port Tunnel, The Luas, Dublin Airport Terminal 2. And every single piece of infrastructure was built too late and was used a political football for years and declared as a waste of money by every single opposition party, used by Government for PR purposes and yet every single piece of infrastructure built is nearly reaching full capacity again and so the cycle starts again with Metro North, Second ring road to ease pressure off M50, third airport terminal etc etc.

No Government, either single party or coalition including the Greens have shown themselves to be capable of looking past the next days headlines and the next election...

Great post Sunny. You could have added that they connected the red and green LUAS lines at Broonbridge but didn't build a car park.

As I see it . . . . . there are too many people living in Dublin. The city and the greater city are too big. Only the North Strand was bombed in WW2. If the whole city had been bombed, the roads would now be straighter and wider. Simplistic view you may say. I don't have an acceptable resolution. Every weekend in Dublin is an Event Weekend. Try moving rugby international games to Cork; have Trinity open an additional university facility in Waterford; build a few huge Event Centres in Galway and Kilkenny; move some government departments to Sligo, Athlone, Monaghan; have international soccer games played in Limerick etc. But, nobody in Dublin wants any of these. Consequently, Dublin people are getting all that they wished for and the traffic and gridlock to go with it.

Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) owns Cork Airport. It won't leave Ryanair take over the old terminal building in Cork and Ryanair put a hub in Bristol instead. Dublin Airport is unfriendly and has far too many flights. I'm sure Shannon and Cork would gladly take some of the superfluous routes, but DAA won't hear of it.

I don't care about the gridlock in Dublin. It was caused by "Dublin thinking" by people living in Dublin. To get a plane Cork to Alicante two weeks ago I spent all of 4 minutes going through check-in and security. We boarded immediately; we didn't have to wait in a holding area (like we did in Dublin Airport a few weeks ago to travel to MIlan) and didn't need a bus to bring us from the terminal to the plane. I bet in many instances it would be better and faster for people in Templeogue to use Cork airport as a faster option than Dublin airport.

The cure to Ireland's problems are in Dublin, but the Dubs can't see it.

Oh for Gods sake. Yes the people went to other parts of the country to pillage men and women to come live in Dublin to service all the companies that the people of Dublin also made set up in the city. The people of Dublin also decided that Dublin would be the capital city to piss off the rest of country just like London, Paris and every other capital centre around the world. The people of Dublin also decide airline policy about airports to fly to. They got so pissed off at Norwegian air deciding to fly from cork that they made them close the route. Thats the power of the Dublin people. Let's go back to the good old days when we made every transatlantic flight stop in Shannon. That was fun.

Of how about we tell all those young people moving to ireland from abroad and looking for housing that if they move to Athlone, the jobs will follow them. Suppose the people of Dublin could close the airport and roads into the city. Wonder where we put the cut off though considering I work with people who commute from belfast and cork to work in dublin every single day. So not only did the people of Dublin create their own mess, they made other people come here to benefit from whatever advantages there are in the jobs market.

But no the solution to all our problems is to build stadiums outside Dublin and move a couple of Government departments.

Every city in Ireland has problems. Galway is choking itself. Cork is sinking but I dont live in those cities so I dont have enough information but next time there is flooding in cork, I might ask why the idiots decided to build there and it's their own fault and they should look to themselves. But then that would be ridiculous wouldn't it.......

As I see it . . . . . there are too many people living in Dublin. The city and the greater city are too big. Only the North Strand was bombed in WW2. If the whole city had been bombed, the roads would now be straighter and wider. Simplistic view you may say. I don't have an acceptable resolution. Every weekend in Dublin is an Event Weekend. Try moving rugby international games to Cork; have Trinity open an additional university facility in Waterford; build a few huge Event Centres in Galway and Kilkenny; move some government departments to Sligo, Athlone, Monaghan; have international soccer games played in Limerick etc. But, nobody in Dublin wants any of these. Consequently, Dublin people are getting all that they wished for and the traffic and gridlock to go with it.

Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) owns Cork Airport. It won't leave Ryanair take over the old terminal building in Cork and Ryanair put a hub in Bristol instead. Dublin Airport is unfriendly and has far too many flights. I'm sure Shannon and Cork would gladly take some of the superfluous routes, but DAA won't hear of it.

I don't care about the gridlock in Dublin. It was caused by "Dublin thinking" by people living in Dublin. To get a plane Cork to Alicante two weeks ago I spent all of 4 minutes going through check-in and security. We boarded immediately; we didn't have to wait in a holding area (like we did in Dublin Airport a few weeks ago to travel to MIlan) and didn't need a bus to bring us from the terminal to the plane. I bet in many instances it would be better and faster for people in Templeogue to use Cork airport as a faster option than Dublin airport.

The cure to Ireland's problems are in Dublin, but the Dubs can't see it.
You can take the man out of Cork...

If the whole city had been bombed, the roads would now be straighter and wider.

The evidence presented by Coventry and Dresden, the two most bombed cities of WW2, would suggest that is not true.

The evidence presented by Coventry and Dresden, the two most bombed cities of WW2, would suggest that is not true.
In the 6 weeks leading up to the dropping on the atomic bomb the Americans dropped more bombs on Tokyo every day than the Germans dropped on London in the entire war. That was one of dozens of cities and towns bombed. In those 6 weeks they killed over a half a million Japanese civilians (dropping the A-Bomb saves 4-5 million lives).

My point is that I think Japan's town planning would tell us more.

I couldn't care less about Coventry or Dresden; but I do care about Dublin and any other place in Ireland.

Back