Are the councils buying apartments for social housing?

dshakey

Does anyone know if anyone the council's are buying apartments and houses from market to provide social housing?

Two houses on my road (DCC is our council) sold recently, and the neighbours concerned said they had sold to DCC. I heard this second hand, not directly from the neighbours selling up.

Unless the council tells you they purchased them, everything else is Gossip as far as who bought the dwellings. Personally, I feel it's wrong in calling certain homes as social housing, council housing, affordable housing, etc, it's putting a stigma on people and labelling them and their children as inferior.

Last edited:
Unless the council tells you they purchased them, everything else is Gossip as far as who bought the dwellings. Personally, I feel it's wrong in calling certain homes as social housing, council housing, affordable housing, etc, it's putting a stigma on people and labelling them and their children as inferior.

That's just the euphemism treadmill. The label doesn't count. Actions, such as the councils running away from providing the housing, speak louder than words.

Does anyone know if anyone the council's are buying apartments and houses from market to provide social housing?

Yes. I've recently acted in the sale of a two bed apartment to Dublin City Council.

mf

The Department of Housing produces stats on how many homes a local authority purchases each year. It's been about 1,500 a year for the last few years.

For Dublin LAs it's the main means of adding to the stock these days.

Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) also make purchases.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am wondering if they would buy my affordable housing home? Not at market value, but enough to give me some equity so I can trade up as we are out growing our home.

Great; the State is using your taxes to price you out of the housing market

Great; the State is using your taxes to price you out of the housing market
I would agree with you ,if the state is using taxpayers money then Invest in increasing supply if there is a shortage in that area,

I have no problem with them buying if there is an oversupply of houses ,

The Department of Housing produces stats on how many homes a local authority purchases each year. It's been about 1,500 a year for the last few years.

For Dublin LAs it's the main means of adding to the stock these days.

Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) also make purchases.
How many are new houses,

My brother owned a 4 bed house.
He went to Cork County Council to ask if they would buy this from him so he could buy a smaller home for himself.
We are trying to find a place for him at the moment. Is it current value that the CCC will give for the house?

By the look of things in some cases they are buying back there own houses ,
With a rising population and so many low income jobs in areas with scarce housing ,they are wasting taxpayers money unless the houses are new builds,

Back