Are Students entitled to jobseekers benefit

hoopman

Hi My daughter is currently in college, going into 2nd year after summer.
She has been working for the past 12 months part time at the weekends (on average every saturday and Sunday) and also during week days at holiday times.
Recently though she has ben getting less and less hours and has got no hours in the last 3 weeks.
Looking back at her payslips for the last year the PRSI class is AO and appears that just employers contributions are paid only, I assume this is because she earns so little, (on average €80 a week)
She did work part time for approx a year before this while in secondary school and recently when she had to go to dentist and an opticians she was entitled to claim the stamps benefit for both.
Does anyone know if she would be entitled to claim jobseekers benefit as her job appears to be gone.
thanks in advance

Maybe. She won't be disqualifed because of being a student, that only applies to the means tested Jobseekers Allowance.
The year currently governing claims is 2007, so it would be the number of weeks PRSI paid then that would count (>39). She may only get a reduced amount though, because of the low earnings.

She maybe should go down and try, though I don't think she will be entitled to unemployment benefit. Perphaps look at welfare.ie it will give qualifying conditions.

Back