are stockbroker fees high

Coming from scandinavia, its shocking to see the fees being charged in Ireland. Typical nordic fees, for funds, etfs, shares etc:

trading: 0 if your account is under €100k. Buy and sell all you like
derivatives: €1 per trade, though several internet banks have free trading in their own products
foreign stocks: €1 or $1 per trade
foreign etf: max 0.25%, most trades 0.1%
maintenance fee: 0
Spread on currency exchanges: 0.25%

As a technician working with electronic trading all over the world for 20 years, the maintenance fee often applied in ireland (and a small few other, mostly third world, countries I've worked in) is particularly interesting to me. There are no maintenance costs whatsoever for the institution. People like me who come into banks, brokers, stockmarkets etc and work with the mechanics are fairly expensive, but neither I nor any colleague I ever worked with has ever done "maintenance" of any kind. It does not exist, because in financial technology everything has got to be right, completely right, always and forever. Everything else is either defect (covered by license fees/guarantees) or development (not the same as maintenance).

Last edited:
Coming from scandinavia, its shocking to see the fees being charged in Ireland. Typical nordic fees, for funds, etfs, shares etc:

trading: 0 if your account is under €100k. Buy and sell all you like
derivatives: €1 per trade, though several internet banks have free trading in their own products
foreign stocks: €1 or $1 per trade
foreign etf: max 0.25%, most trades 0.1%
maintenance fee: 0
Spread on currency exchanges: 0.25%

As a technician working with electronic trading all over the world for 20 years, the maintenance fee often applied in ireland (and a small few other, mostly third world, countries I've worked in) is particularly interesting to me. There are no maintenance costs whatsoever for the institution. People like me who come into banks, brokers, stockmarkets etc and work with the mechanics are fairly expensive, but neither I nor any colleague I ever worked with has ever done "maintenance" of any kind. It does not exist, because in financial technology everything has got to be right, completely right, always and forever. Everything else is either defect (covered by license fees/guarantees) or development (not the same as maintenance).
Could you provide a point towards any one of these brokers which offer zero fees for trading shares? Or one that allows you to buy or sell say a Eurex futures contacts for 1 euro? Knowing how exchanges charge wholesale, I believe that either your claims are exaggerated or that this fee structure is completely unsustainable.

Could you provide a point towards any one of these brokers which offer zero fees for trading shares? Or one that allows you to buy or sell say a Eurex futures contacts for 1 euro? Knowing how exchanges charge wholesale, I believe that either your claims are exaggerated or that this fee structure is completely unsustainable.

I'm not allowed to post links, but try google for "Nordnet prislista" or "Avanza prislista".

there are plenty more with trading domestic stocks (Nasdaq) free, most foreign stocks around €1/$1 though I don't know about ISEQ or even if they're available at all. The two above also have free trading in derivatives. I'm not so sure about unsustainable, this has been standard business for a few years now. I remember about 5 yrs ago the cost was about €1, about 10yrs ago it was under €5, and maybe 15 years ago a standard fee was €10+.

Don't know about Eurex. Nordics generally trade derivatives on NGM where warrants, turbo warrants, leveraged certificates etc, all are free (on trades over approx €100 - otherwise €1 fee). Ceveat: up to I think 500 or maybe 1000 trades per year free, thereafter €1 or €2. Ceveat 2: "free" valid only through the brokers website - calling their APIs from homebrewed trading software costs €1-2. Ceveat 3: Futures and options cost around €2 on NGM.

And of course - no maintenance fees - unheard of.

Back