Are Primary Schools permitted to close at 11 am on the Friday they close for Easter?

Re: Are Primary Schools permitted to close at 11 am on the Friday they close for East

Our local primary always finishes at 12.30pm for Easter Break, Summer Break and Christmas Break. Never questioned it because it was always the way, my eldest is 16 now, so has been that way for the past 12 years

Re: Are Primary Schools permitted to close at 11 am on the Friday they close for East

My nephew finishes school at 12 on Friday as teachers in his school have a staff meeting. I have no problem with this. Isn't it better that they send children home rather than put them in front of a DVD for the afternoon on the last day of term? Anyway, kids are usually wrecked by the time the holidays arrive.

It's time we put things in perspective and pay teachers for what they do - baby sit!

Lex Foutish, do you not realise that teaching is a profession???
My sister is a teacher and has spent 5 years studying to be a teacher (including postgrad courses) and more than earns her money. She spends hours at home preparing and correcting work.

Your attitude is disgusting.:mad:

Lex Foutish ...Your attitude is disgusting.:mad:

Yes. Like Jonathan Swift's modest proposal.

[Mind you, if we took Swift's advice, we would have no problem with school closing times.]

Lex Foutish, do you not realise that teaching is a profession???
Your attitude is disgusting.:mad:

Lex was joking. Did you see his reply or just the joke post?

Just a bit of fun, Camellia. It's an email that was doing the rounds a few weeks ago. ;)

I was just speaking to a primary school vice principal and she admitted that half days count as full days ,so that is why most schools have half days before breaking for holidays.

The school my children go to try and justify it by saying that it is a "tradition"

Never mind primary schools - what about the short terms for secondary schools? Most pupils will finish at the end of May if they are not sitting JC or LC. Teachers (in our school) are nowhere to be seen after May (unless they are getting paid to supervise exams). UK schools will be going till Mid July.

I think teachers that have the younger classes are much better off....to be honest how much lesson planning and marking to you have to do for 5 year olds? That also finish at 1.30pm! Thats a haf day in it's self.

Why do irish school's have different picking up times? nothing more annoying picking one chld up at 1.30pm and having to go back again at 2.30pm. I think they finish school way to early. In england they are in school untill 3.15pm-3.30pm, i was told because 5-6 year old arn't able for the full day!!

I dont by the reason that they cant handle from 9am to 3 pm....so why do they finish school earlier and at different times???

... Why do irish school's have different picking up times? nothing more annoying picking one chld up at 1.30pm and having to go back again at 2.30pm. ...

It's really the fault of parents, for having children of different ages.

Damm my ovaries for not producing 2 eggs at once or that 1 egg not spliting into 2 during those early stages!!!

Is there a mechanism whereby I can complain about this practice to the Dept of Education?
Wouldn't the first step be to complain to the Principal and then the Board of Management?

Based on Camellia's last post she has verified that the school is open 184 days when the requirement is 183 days.

The school appears to be fulfilling its obligations.

Marion

I've been reading this thread with great interest and more than a little mild amusement.

First off, 11 a.m. is a very unusual finishing time - it's nearly always 12 or 12.30

Schools are entitled to take one half day per term - it's at their discretion when they are taken.

As for the jibe about us having threatened strike action, well there's a 'damned if we do /damned if we don't' situation if ever I head one.

I'm so sick of the teacher bashing lately. People see it as a cushy number, if it's so easy go and try it out for yourselves - it's really that simple! Samanthajane you would be most welcome in my class of over 30 5 year olds any time you want - just see the work (and patience!) that delivering a decent education requires and you might think twice about posting such ignorant comments.

I can confirm another small town primary school closing today at 12. My sibling told me and I asked why on earth when there is going to be 2 weeks holidays? It's very inconvenient and last minute notice etc. As another poster said it's hardly worth getting up to bring them. I don't get the childminding jibes. Children are sent to school to be educated not to be childminded and working parents plan their hours around the hours that they know their kids will be there. It is exceedingly inconveninet to be told about a half day (is 3 hours a half day?) only a few days before. Has anyone heard of planning on putting a notice up of all half days, holidays etc well in advance. I get a list in September of all school holidays and any teacher training days I'm notified of at least a month in advance in addition to which there is an easy to see notice put up.

Teachers perform a job that is critical to the future of the country and has an impact on nearly everyone. Good teachers put in a lot of additional effort outside of class hours and this often goes unappreciated. This, IMHO, is because it is not well structured and monitored to ensure consistently high standards by all teachers.

The function of a teacher is not to be a child minding service but the reality is that it forms a significant part of the role. Parents have an opportunity to engage in work, education or other activities while children are in school. I think that there would be significant social and economic benefits if schools opened earlier and closed later and included more structured extra-curricular activities including supervised study. It would be great if a child could be dropped off in the morning before work and collected in the evening after work where the child has completed 'homework' and had an opportunity to engage in sports. Better opportunities for children, easier access to workforce for parents. Delivering on such a dream would require a fundamental change in the expectation of working hours of teachers. The teachers should also have the same expectation, that they have time for classes, preparation and other activities during the 'normal' working day.

As an aside, is it just a coincidence that the number of days in a year for primary schools, 183, is exactly the same as the revenue allowed days in the country to still claim non-residence for tax purposes ! Have we some high net worth toddlers influencing government?

Isn't it better that they send children home rather than put them in front of a DVD for the afternoon on the last day of term?

Thats all my daughter did today from 9-12 in school - watched a DVD!

Teaching can be a very tough job -any parent who has ever had 15 or more kids to a party can tell you house stressful it is to have a large number of children in a room at one time!

There are some very lazy teachers out there who just put in the hours, do not inspire the children and make no effort etc but there are also some fantastic teachers who really go the extra mile. Its a pity the systems doesn't work with some sort of basic pay and bonus system (say based on parents feedback etc).
Sorry for going off the point a bit!

I've been reading this thread with great interest and more than a little mild amusement.

First off, 11 a.m. is a very unusual finishing time - it's nearly always 12 or 12.30

Schools are entitled to take one half day per term - it's at their discretion when they are taken.

As for the jibe about us having threatened strike action, well there's a 'damned if we do /damned if we don't' situation if ever I head one.

I'm so sick of the teacher bashing lately. People see it as a cushy number, if it's so easy go and try it out for yourselves - it's really that simple! Samanthajane you would be most welcome in my class of over 30 5 year olds any time you want - just see the work (and patience!) that delivering a decent education requires and you might think twice about posting such ignorant comments.

How were my comments ignorant??

My point was the time they finished school, tell me where in my post that i said it was easy to have 30 5 year olds, or where i mentioned patience....... nope cant find it can you!!!

You need to calm down and stop thinking everyone is out to bash you cause your a teacher. This post was orginally about the time that the school closed......thats what i was commenting on. So get off your high horse. A better response would of been to answer the actual point that i mentioned since your anger was pointed towards me in gerenal....but you chose to rant on about something totally different and unrelated to what i said. Surprised you didn't have any comments to make about that or were you lost for words or perhaps ignorant yourself in knowing exacetly why irish children have different finishing times.

Thats all my daughter did today from 9-12 in school - watched a DVD!
Must have been a box set to last three hours? Ours would only watch DVDs on rainy days instead of going out to the yard. Have you raised your concern with the teacher or principal?

Duplicate posting.

Back