Are Michelin CrossClimate tyres a good tyre for occasional snow and ice?

RichInSpirit

Are Michelin CrossClimate tyres a good tyre for driving in occasional snow and ice?
Someone suggested them to me. I have had occasional misadventures in snow and ice in the past.
What are they like for the rest of the year without snow and ice?
Any feedback welcome.

Interested in these tyres too. I am also wondering if they are as fuel efficient as 'summer tyres'?

I don't know this model specifically, but if they are all weather tyres then I think there would be fuel efficiency hit especially on motorways as you have more 'grip' to overcome? Plus more noise.

Make sure you're getting the CrossCLimate+ that replaced them in 2017. Compare the ratings here for grip, fuel efficiency, etc..

It depends on where you live and how much you drive. Where in Ireland do you expect to occasionally encounter snow and ice?

I was looking at this as well but the price put me off. €184 a corner.

It depends on where you live and how much you drive. Where in Ireland do you expect to occasionally encounter snow and ice?
I didn't drive in any snow or ice in 2019 but in 2018 met quite a bit and had one misadventure. I do quite a bit of driving on L roads which are never salted, and R roads that are sometimes salted, and less on N roads and motorways which are nearly always salted.

If we got worse winters with more frequent snow/ice and I lived in a more remote area, I'd be tempted to buy two spare wheels and fit them with proper winter tyres for occasional use. All-season tyres will generally be worse than summer tyres for our conditiond and when the snow does come, the treads may be worn to the point that they perform no better.

Make sure you're getting the CrossCLimate+ that replaced them in 2017. Compare the ratings here for grip, fuel efficiency, etc..
Thanks Leo. Going buying a rear tyre later off my local tyre guy, I'll ask about the CrossClimate plus.

The idea to buy two wheels fitted with good winter tyres that you could mount quickly on the drive wheels is logical for the occasions we get severe winter roads where travel is a necessity.

I'm on my second set. I like them. They are not a serious snow tyre. But they are better than a summer tyre.
Most people have bad summer tyres, never mind all season.

I think I got them for about 130 each.

I'm on my second set. I like them. They are not a serious snow tyre. But they are better than a summer tyre.
Most people have bad summer tyres, never mind all season.

I think I got them for about 130 each.

What size tyre and where, if you don’t mind me asking? I got the same quote of 184 from three different places. (Fitted)

Because only one person asked.

Also it's basically using AAM for free advertising and I don't want to be sudo advocate for a business I've had good but minimal dealings with. Also this thread will appear in public on search engines a long time.

.....Just a thought and I've no claim on any expertise here....

But if you fit tyres designed for our small handful of snowy/icy days each winter are you not leaving yourself at a distinct disadvantage through all of the vast majority of remaining days with our predominantly wet driving conditions?

Would it not be better to go for a tyre that is excellent in wet conditions/surface water etc and then just proceed with caution on the few icy mornings?

Back