Are GPs generally accepting over 70s GP visit card?

Up Rovers

Relative has applied for one and waiting to hear back. Checking the HSE online system to see if the application has made any progress says 'we require your chosen GP to accept you as a patient before we can complete your application'.

Just like a lot of GPs are not taking on new patients either medical card or not are they also refusing in some cases to take on the over 70s GP visit card?

Thanks.

As we have a shortage of GP's many are unable to accept new patients as their books are already full.
It's unlikely that some of that age does not already have a GP or has the relative not had a discussion with him

As we have a shortage of GP's many are unable to accept new patients as their books are already full.
It's unlikely that some of that age does not already have a GP or has the relative not had a discussion with him

Has not been for their regular check-up recently but if application is delayed further then will give the surgery a call. They can still be hard to get through to because of Covid or so they say.

Side bar question on over 70s card.

Are GPs paid per visit of the patient or do they receive a capitation payment per patient per year ?

Side bar question on over 70s card.

Are GPs paid per visit of the patient or do they receive a capitation payment per patient per year ?
I believe it is annual capitation - currently €403 - higher if the patient is in a nursing home. There are also other general support fees for GP practices.

Was into my local GP on Tuesday for bloods, etc. Told him I'd be turning 70 next March and would I have any problem with the free GP visits. He just smiled at me and asked why did I think there would be any problems? Told me, "you'll be grand". I'll take that as an ok. :)

Was into my local GP on Tuesday for bloods, etc. Told him I'd be turning 70 next March and would I have any problem with the free GP visits. He just smiled at me and asked why did I think there would be any problems? Told me, "you'll be grand". I'll take that as an ok. :)
You'll both be grand!

Back