Are adults who won't learn to drive a nuisance?

liaconn

Do you think there's an age after which people really should be able to drive? Years ago it was different, but nowadays its very difficult to get around without a car. If you can't drive you end up putting other people out all the time as they have to give you lifts, or putting an extra burden on siblings where elderly parents are no longer able to drive much and need to be brought to appointments, shopping etc.

Obviously not everyone can afford to run a car and some people have medical conditions which preclude them from driving. But, in general, I think people should learn to drive in their twenties or before if at all possible.

Yeah, it just vastly reduces your ability to function.

I think that there should be some element of mandatory driving instruction in schools, both theory and practical, and one driving test at the end of that without cost to the pupil.

The majority of people should have a full driving license by the time they turn 18 because so many full-time jobs require an element of driving, whether it is on the road completely, moving between business locations or going to meet clients / suppliers.

I'd prefer if they go those who currently drive to learn the rules of the road properly!

Last edited:
The majority of people should have a full driving license by the time they turn 18 because so many full-time jobs require an element of driving, whether it is on the road completely, moving between business locations or going to meet clients / suppliers.

The vast, vast majority of jobs require you to get to an office or shop and sit there for eight hours before going home - they absolutely do not require a car.

The vast, vast majority of jobs require you to get to an office or shop and sit there for eight hours before going home - they absolutely do not require a car.

Limiting your choice of employment to those Jobs that are within reach of a decent public transport system.

Limiting your choice of employment to those Jobs that are within reach of a decent public transport system.

Perhaps but that's a choice people need to make when they're choosing a place of residence or employment. If you decide not to do that, you're free to drive assuming there is a decent route (ie no congestion) and parking (ie not most city centre offices, no IFSC offices and not all Sandyford/Citywest offices).

Perhaps but that's a choice people need to make when they're choosing a place of residence or employment. If you decide not to do that, you're free to drive assuming there is a decent route (ie no congestion) and parking (ie not most city centre offices, no IFSC offices and not all Sandyford/Citywest offices).

I would never let a job dictate where I live,as long as its no more than 45 mins away I will happily drive there,I also agree with the OP that those who choose not to drive saddle others with their choice.

I also agree with the OP that those who choose not to drive saddle others with their choice.

How? Say no to a lift if they bother you that much. I know plenty of people don't drive either because they choose not to have a car or because they never bothered to learn. They survive on their own two feet perfectly well without always looking for lifts.

I dont mind adults who dont have a car. But I do mind adults who never learned how to drive. It just seems lazy.

How? Say no to a lift if they bother you that much. I know plenty of people don't drive either because they choose not to have a car or because they never bothered to learn. They survive on their own two feet perfectly well without always looking for lifts.

You often feel obliged to offer lifts, though, even when you're not asked directly for one. Also, it means in family situations someone else always has to drive an elderly parent to an appointment or to a family celebration and the non-drivers never have to take time off work for this, or be the designated driver who can't have a drink and has to leave early to take their mother or father home etc.

How? Say no to a lift if they bother you that much.

Personally I wouldn't put up with it,I have a sister in law who has to ferry her husband everywhere,there is no sharing of responsibility,she has to drop the kids to school,collect them,bring them to training/ballet/violin lessons,if they go out for a meal,she cannot drink,yet he can drink himself silly if he wants.
My own sister is so lazy my father (generous to a fault) bought her a car in order to stop her pestering my mother for lifts here there and everywhere.
The Car was sold a few years ago,she never took one lesson,despite my entreaties my Mother is still ferrying her about.

These people are just users,simple as that and a long as their are suckers out there who enable them in this behaviour,they will continue on not bothering to learn how to drive.

While it would be unfair to call everyone who cannot drive past the age of 21 lazy,its not far off the mark either.

As long as non-drivers don't expect other people to drive them around then what's the problem?
If there is an elderly parent that needs to be brought somewhere tell your non-driving sibling to get a taxi. Doing that once a month is still far cheaper than running a car.

The real issue here is selfish people. They usually display their selfishness in more ways than just expecting free transport.

As long as non-drivers don't expect other people to drive them around then what's the problem?
If there is an elderly parent that needs to be brought somewhere tell your non-driving sibling to get a taxi. Doing that once a month is still far cheaper than running a car.

The real issue here is selfish people. They usually display their selfishness in more ways than just expecting free transport.
That's not practical. If an elderly mother needs a lift up to Tesco to do some heavy shopping, or someone to drop them to Bridge or whatever, they're not going to agree to someone booking a taxi for them or paying the fare for them. They'll either not go or insist on paying the taxi fare themselves. It just smacks of the driver in the family refusing to give them a lift.

That's not practical. If an elderly mother needs a lift up to Tesco to do some heavy shopping, or someone to drop them to Bridge or whatever, they're not going to agree to someone booking a taxi for them or paying the fare for them. They'll either not go or insist on paying the taxi fare themselves. It just smacks of the driver in the family refusing to give them a lift.

Bicycle Rickshaw!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_rickshaw

Last edited:
[broken link removed]

Problem solved.
"Feel obliged" does not mean you have to. People who don't learn to drive are a pest. The are never shy telling you how much they save not having a car and how people have cars and don't need them. That's what buses and taxi's are for. You can set up an account with a local taxi firm in to drop an elderly relative off when they need it and you take care of the payments if that'll make you feel better.
People who dont drive also slam the car doors too hard ( ok I stole that one from some comedian I can't recall, but it is true!)

But having to buy and maintain a car you don't need, just to give lifts to other people is?

I didn't say you had to buy a car. If you can drive, you can drive anyone's car and share the task of driving people around, doing part of the driving on long trips etc.

I didn't say you had to buy a car. If you can drive, you can drive anyone's car and share the task of driving people around, doing part of the driving on long trips etc.

Yea but you still have to be insured. Open drive insurance policies are usually 3rd party for drivers not named on the policy.

I didn't say you had to buy a car. If you can drive, you can drive anyone's car and share the task of driving people around
But that still doesn't solve the problem of being "a nuisance" and putting people out by needing to borrow the car.

Back