architects - how to source?

BoscoTalking

hi there, i wish to alter the height of my garage and to convert it but have been told i would need planning and therefore use of architect and engineer to do this. Im based in Cork and have no clue how to find one to do this simple job - the online tradesman site suggests architects for new builds as opposed to existing building - im guessing that they don't have any interest in small jobs like mine. Any advice / pointers / recommendations welcome.

would say in the current climate they will be queueing down the street! (or look on the dole queue)

But best place to find one would be through the register of qualified ones, Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI)

Have a look at [broken link removed] This is fund raiser by Simon, on April 24 and 25. It is an ideal way to meet an architect and discuss your plans ( 50 euro donation to Simon). Even the listing of Architects on the site is a good stating point.

This is a great event that has been running for the last number of years. The donations go to a very worthwhile cause.

Do have a look at this thread:
Key Post What to ask the architect at our first meeting
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=131450

The guidance here will be of use when going through & choosing from the list of firms on the Simon Open Door website.

On a less positive note, one well-known firm of Dublin Architects has pulled out of this charity scheme and have set up their own "Open Door" event offering free consultations through their own website. They have used the Simon Open Door logo as part of their marketing for this.

Architects who do offer their time through the Simon scheme know that they may potentially secure a commission, but they also know the house-owner's donation is going to charity. The use of Simon's logo and 'Open Door' event name solely to attract new clients to a practice at the same time as Simon is marketing its event is a lamentable tactic.

I would encourage all people thinking of consulting an architect to do so through the official Simon Open Door website at www.simonopendoor.ie
Even if the architect you want to speak to is booked out on the site, you could arrange a consultation with that practice directly and send a donation to Simon yourself.

DBK100

Back