Architect plans way over budget

The datum is not the area. But the initial quote and subsequent creep.
The comment was very specific to just the price, and based on only the details in the OP. It's ridiculous to make a value assertion based on that information.

You're trying to defend the indefensible.
I'm not, I'm simply saying it is impossible to say whether a price represents good value when you have no idea what the scale or specification of the work is. It's like saying 20k is poor value for a second hand car without knowing whether it's a 20 year old Micra or a 2 year old Ferrari.

What the OP might have wished to pay for the work does not mean the price quoted is extortionate. As it turns out, a price of 2.5k for new build and 1.5k for refurbishment work is quite reasonable.

The original question was about the inability of the architect to design a plan within the given budget not as to whether the design was good value or not

I'm not, I'm simply saying it is impossible to say whether a price represents good value when you have no idea what the scale or specification of the work is. It's like saying 20k is poor value for a second hand car without knowing whether it's a 20 year old Micra or a 2 year old Ferrari.

What the OP might have wished to pay for the work does not mean the price quoted is extortionate. As it turns out, a price of 2.5k for new build and 1.5k for refurbishment work is quite reasonable.

For your analogy to be comparable you'd have to get a quotes for work on the same vehicle each time that constantly escalate.

To the point at which you can no longer afford the work and it would make more sense to change the car the fix/upgrade it.

The mechanic estimates now having completely blown (and ignored) your budget.

For your analogy to be comparable you'd have to get a quotes for work on the same vehicle each time that constantly escalate.
No, the statement I responded to made no reference to escalating costs, just that the price quoted was 'outrageous'. You seemed to feel it was a fair statement to make at a point where no area of specifications were provided.

No, the statement I responded to made no reference to escalating costs, just that the price quoted was 'outrageous'. You seemed to feel it was a fair statement to make at a point where no area of specifications were provided.

Consider then your saying the price has no context. Because you're ignoring the context of thread in which the post was made or my reply in its entirety.

I'm done with this. We disagree. I'm moving on.

Consider then your saying the price has no context. Because you're ignoring the context of thread in which the post was made or my reply in its entirety.
There was no context at the point the statement was made, just the opening post. A lot has been added since, but that wasn't available when the other poster declared the price was outrageous. Indeed, the detail added since has confirmed the price is actually reasonable.

The price may be reasonable for what the architect has designed, but would you consider it reasonable of the architect to come up with plans that will cost nearly double the desired budget?

The price may be reasonable for what the architect has designed, but would you consider it reasonable of the architect to come up with plans that will cost nearly double the desired budget?
That's a different question, not whether the price quoted was extortionate for the proposed design.

This was the crux of my original question. And the extension of that is, is it reasonable for us to require the plans be at least roughly within the budget we set to be acceptable or should we expect to pay extra for a redesign?

Anyway, no change in situation because we’ve been away but I’m hoping things can get back on track soon.

This was the crux of my original question. And the extension of that is, is it reasonable for us to require the plans be at least roughly within the budget we set to be acceptable or should we expect to pay extra for a redesign?

Anyway, no change in situation because we’ve been away but I’m hoping things can get back on track soon.
It is not unreasonable to expect designs to be drawn up within or close to budget. I would have thought this would have been standard.

If you clearly specified your budget, and asked for designs within that budget then if the architect has not done that they should redo the plans.

Any major deviations from budget should have been discussed.

Be curious what happens now of the fees are a % of the build costs so he puts in work (time) commiserate with a 500k+ build then you scale back (or rein it back to the original) the project back to 375k or thereabouts requiring a redesign which is effectively a lot more extra work for considerably less money. Return on time invested etc.

I assume when you say they've billed you already it's based on the highest estimated building costs to date.

I assume if you ask them to redesign it they'll want that charged separately.

Be curious what happens now of the fees are a % of the build costs so he puts in work (time) commiserate with a 500k+ build then you scale back (or rein it back to the original) the project back to 375k or thereabouts requiring a redesign which is effectively a lot more extra work for considerably less money. Return on time invested etc.

I assume when you say they've billed you already it's based on the highest estimated building costs to date.

I assume if you ask them to redesign it they'll want that charged separately.
Well, they’ve only done the initial plans at this stage, not the planning permission or tender drawings, so hopefully not too much time has been wasted. The fees we agreed to were based on a build estimate of 300k ex VAT. It’s just that once they’d drawn up and presented the plans, they they revised their estimate of the build cost to be closer to 450k ex VAT. They have blamed inflation but it was only a couple of months later so that doesn’t explain it. We immediately made it clear that we could not proceed at that price so I doubt they were ever really expecting to get a % of 450k.

The more I think about it the more unwilling I am to pay full whack for a redesign. If they had given us an estimate of 450k in March/April instead of 300k, we would not have proceeded.

(e.g. bedrooms larger, open-plan space very large, downstairs bathroom huge, walk-in wardrobe included etc.),
Just out of interest, how much time was spent walking through the proposed design and some of these features? To me the above indicates changes required to comply with the current building regs, particularly TG-M, but wondering if sufficient time was spent talking through all that.

Just out of interest, how much time was spent walking through the proposed design and some of these features? To me the above indicates changes required to comply with the current building regs, particularly TG-M, but wondering if sufficient time was spent talking through all that.
Building regs were not mentioned in relation to anything other than BER. However, I’ve just looked at the TG-M and there is no requirement for a full bathroom at ground level, all double bedrooms, or walk-in wardrobes. They did mention future proofing and having a part of the house that can be a downstairs en-suite bedroom but, while I can see that it’s important in a general sense, we are not going to sacrifice a bedroom for one of our kids now because there’s a chance we’ll need an accessible bathroom downstairs in the future.

Building regs were not mentioned in relation to anything other than BER. However, I’ve just looked at the TG-M and there is no requirement for a full bathroom at ground level, all double bedrooms, or walk-in wardrobes. They did mention future proofing and having a part of the house that can be a downstairs en-suite bedroom but, while I can see that it’s important in a general sense, we are not going to sacrifice a bedroom for one of our kids now because there’s a chance we’ll need an accessible bathroom downstairs in the future.
You don't get to decide whether you need it now, regs aren't optional. The mandatory minimum dimensions for an accessible bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor are there to improve accessibility of the housing stock, improving choice for those in need of those facilities now and preparing in advance for those who will need them in the future.

You don't get to decide whether you need it now, regs aren't optional. The mandatory minimum dimensions for an accessible bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor are there to improve accessibility of the housing stock, improving choice for those in need of those facilities now and preparing in advance for those who will need them in the future.
Ok but I never suggested that we wouldn’t comply with building regs? As I said, there is no requirement for a full downstairs bath in the regs. In fact, by installing a downstairs wc we would bring ourselves into compliance with the regs (currently no downstairs loo). There is also no requirement for a downstairs room that can be an en-suite. This is something that was recommended by the architect. I understand about upgrading the housing stock and the value of accessibility in general (as I mentioned above) but it is difficult to do in our house which is a small semi-d. And even the regs recognise the fact that existing houses cannot always be made accessible easily.

I do wonder how this ended !

I am/was in a similar boat and I have to say it annoys me beyond belief that architects design extensions that do not match the budget given. In our case the budget given was x. The first quote we got back was 2.4x and the second quote was 2.7k. Factoring in price rises, its clear the architect designed something that was never within budget - maybe if using 2011 price lists !

When someone embarks on a renovation its not like going into a garage and asking to see what you can get for 20k, 50k and 100k. You have a number in mind and you give it to the architect and say keep me honest to that number. They are the professionals and are supposed to know what things roughly cost. They see the responses of all tenders they publish and most work on comparable sized projects.

In my profession, if I was asked to design something for budget x and came back with something that was 2x, I would be told to get real and told to come back with at least a proposal that was roughly within the budgets given.

I agree with a poster about Room to Improve where a budget was given, the proposal was 50% higher and the clients magically came up with the money. I think some architects still think this is the norm, rather than the reality of TV and knowing that Dermot will not keep within budget so they lower it.

In our case, the architect massively scaled back the proposal, got an 'indicative' quote from someone they knew and came in around 1.8x. We have literally been ghosted since, as he knows he cannot deliver a proposal within the budget and reckons there is no more money to be made from it by him. I will add that we had paid him in good faith based on work done and it is a massive regret on my side.

Sadly, the current climate means its a builders and architect's world and they get to pick the jobs they want to do, with no shortage of work for them. But I would caution anyone engaging with architects to be very careful with budgets and make sure an early review is done by someone to see if its remotely in the ballpark.

Back