Architect/engineer - Is there anyone out there?

Budgie

Dear all

We are about to start our build and looking for an architect/engineer to manage. Build cost likely to be €500k. We have a builder who has recommended an architect/engineer to work with. We had an architect before but persistent overcharging and poor service led us to dispense with his services. However he has provided plans etc.

We have asked architect/engineer for quote and he has said that normally he would charge 15% of the build (based on RIAI scale) but has "graciously" reduced this to 10% on the basis that planning permission has been secured. When we asked him to clarify what is in and out of scope and to give us a monetary fee for this, we received a calculation of €500 x 10% (just in case we could not do this ourselves) plus anything else he cares to add.

This sounds outrageous to me. I want to get other quotes but don't want to waste my time with 10 different fellas who want to look at the house, go through plans, see how much they can take me for etc.

Is there anyone out there in Sth Dublin who is honest, reliable and reasonable on fees? (I know this sounds like the holy grail). All recommendations welcome.

It is outrageous.... 50 grand at this stage for any dwelling is extortion especially since planning permission has already been granted... perhaps you should seek out a professional who is not an RIAI architect.... to be honest many of the new members of this havent a bulls notion regarding best practise in construction... and the older members are so stuck in their ways, with their little cliques, that they may not have their clients best interests at heart......

What you need to do is to secure exactly what service you want, rather than have them telling you what they will do for you....

The architect / engineer is not bound by any scale, especially the RIAI....

Perhaps you should be looking further a field, like emplying a Project Manager or Architectural Technician to oversee the build... just check to see if they have the proper PI insurane to certify the work....

to be honest, paying anything more than 4 - 5% is extortion...... ie max 20 - 25 K

What sydthebeat said +1.

Shop around. get the yellow pages out and ring round for a quick verbal quote.

Oh, nearly forgot the RIAI do not have a fee scale AFAIK so he was telling you a porky

Oh, nearly forgot the RIAI do not have a fee scale AFAIK so he was telling you a porky

The RIAI do have a fee scale, although it might be rare that an architect will actually get the full recommended fee; as in other business arrangements (except medical consultancy I suppose!) there is room for negotiation in this area.

The RIAI do have a fee scale, although it might be rare that an architect will actually get the full recommended fee; as in other business arrangements (except medical consultancy I suppose!) there is room for negotiation in this area.
I recall this matter being discussed before some time ago and it was the determined that the RIAI did not in fact have a scale of fees. If memory serves me correct someone posted that RIAI members are issued with a guide but there is no scale of fee available for inspection by the public.

Check their web site and you will see that the only thing they show is the results of a survey of architects fees - no scales

the 'recommended rates' that they used to have was critised by the competition authority.... quite correctly... as creating a cartel like stiuation.....

the still have a guide fee basis, but no architect will say that he is bound by these guides....

Back