Nationwide Arbitrators?

Airtight

Is there a strong demand for Arbitrators in Ireland? Where would I find a list of recommendations?

Hi Airtight,

It depends on the area. Arbitration tends to be used most frequently in areas where it is necessary that the arbitrator have technical competence in the area in dispute e.g. construction disputes, or for issues like CPO's etc. Recommendations for arbitrators are usually available from professional bodies. The law society maintains a list I think, as does the IEI for construction disputes.

What sort of dispute do you hope to arbitrate? If the dispute is arising out of a contract you entered into the contract is likely to have an arbitration clause which will set out how the arbitrator should be appointed. The best thing to do is talk to your solicitor and go from there.

As to demand, it is growing. In certain industries arbitration is far more common than litigation through the courts, and it is becoming more popular as the faster, cheaper option. It is not suitable in all cases however.

Good luck,

Kate.

I am in construction, I personally don't want to become a practicing Arbitrator, however I do want to be Chartered as an Arbitrator.

Currently I am Chartered with the SCS and CIOB, my goal is to compile and defend claims. I feel having a detailed understanding of the disputes process would be a great advantage in ensuring the best case is put forward.

Any courses in Ireland or distance learning you know about?

Hi airtight,

I'm a solicitor so not in construction but as it happens I have come across some courses. I'm sure you know about the Trinity Contract Law course that would be very helpful for someone with a construction background and gives accreditation. Distance learning is not avail so you would have to be in Dub or willing to travel. There is a course in UCD also and I think they are willing to consider distance learning.

However I understand that there is an excellent distance learning course offered by a UK university that will/should give you accreditation here. I will try to get the name of the course for you and post it if you want it?

Kate.

Airtight

There is a higher diploma in Arbitration in UCD which exempts you from the Chartered institute of arbitrators exams. I have done the course. Its short, two evenings a week for 12 weeks or 1 evening if you have a legal qualification. It costs circa €6k.

Regards

Keith

Airtight

There is a higher diploma in Arbitration in UCD which exempts you from the Chartered institute of arbitrators exams. I have done the course. Its short, two evenings a week for 12 weeks or 1 evening if you have a legal qualification. It costs circa €6k.

Regards

Keith

Does anyone have any comments regarding this course. I am currently thinking of doing this course Arbitration Law UCD or Construction & Contract Law TCD. My background is engineering/construction. Any comments welcome

i completed the course last year and found it very good. Its not as long as the TCD course and it also waives you of any chartered institute exams which the TCD does not. It is howver a general arbitration course whereas the TCD is construction (IEI contract) specific.

I am in construction, I personally don't want to become a practicing Arbitrator, however I do want to be Chartered as an Arbitrator.

Currently I am Chartered with the SCS and CIOB, my goal is to compile and defend claims. I feel having a detailed understanding of the disputes process would be a great advantage in ensuring the best case is put forward.

Any courses in Ireland or distance learning you know about?

Airtight, I was hoping to get involved in something similar, I was just wondering, do you have any update regarding your course. Like I said I was thinking about doing the UCD Arbitration course or the TCD Construction & Contract Law course

Back