Approximate Renovations Costs for Kitchen/Dining Room

R

Roothie

Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 3 bed semi detached house in the Dublin area, but I am trying to figure out how much I can spend on the property and still afford some renovations that I would like to do.

The renovations I would like to do are;

1) Remove a partition wall about 8 feet in length from between the kitchen and dining room.

2) Switch sliding patio doors from the kitchen to the dining room and the window in the dining room to the kitchen (I am assuming since both are double glazed and in good condition that I would not need replacement windows)

3) Move the radiator which is currently under the window in the dining room to the adjoining wall.

4) Replace the floor in the bathroom as there was a leaking bath.

I only have budget of around 20k to do this work as well as fit a new kitchen and bathroom and furnish the house. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me whether the renovations above are a major job and roughly how much I would be looking at.

Thanks,

Roothie

Hi I did a similar job in my own home so hope I can be some help. I think you might be a bit tight on 20K to do it all but suppose it comes down to the finish you want. A bit of advice Id give you is dont scrimp on things like kitchens & bathrooms, as in get something you want and can live with rather than do it cheaply. I still have the same suite I had when we moved in 4 years ago and dying to change it but have spent the money in other areas first

Firstly is wall being removed load/non-load bearing as theres a large differance in cost once you factor in engineer, support beam & cert of compliance for a load bearing wall. So heres the breakdown of what we did

1) Remove load bearing wall & fit RSJ
2) Move Rad from above wall to another wall
3) Completely replace kitchen (as kitchen was moving from one wall to another this involved moving mains gas & elecs plumbing and sockets so bear that in mind)
4) Remove ceiling over kitchen and replace to follow pitch of roof and fit velux windows
5) Replace all downstairs doors/frames & architraves skirting
6) Fit wooden floors sitting room/hall
7) Replace bannisters with solid oak ones
8) change all sockets/light switches to chrome
9) Wire and fit under unit lighting and spotlights in kitchen
10) Level floor ready for tiling

The builder we used supplied everything above (we'd just pick out) except the doors which we paid for and granite worktop which he organised and we paid supplier. And final figure to builder was e23,700. That didnt include tiles/tiler or appliances which also came to a few thousand so we figure with paint and other bits and bobs we spent ~e30,000. While we could have done it cheaper we did it the way we wanted and didnt cut corners. Remember itgs your home and you have to live there

Hi Sassy B,

Thanks for that comprehensive reply!

The wall is not load bearing (I should have stated that in the original post).

The patio doors and windows are in the exterior wall facing the garden and I just want to swap them from right to left and vice versa. This would give me an L shaped section where the kitchen currently is so I would just have to replace the existing units and appliances and not worry about moving electrics and plumming.

I literally just want new floorboards put in the bathroom, nothing fancy as I would hope to tile over them.

I would be looking at mid-range bathrooms and kitchens, not designer but not the cheapest either. If I need to cut corners somewhere I can live with not all of the rooms in the house being completely furnished when I move in.

Thanks again for the reply!

No bothers at all Roothie glad to held. My mam did what you want to do which was swap a door and window and main expense was really replacing both so if you could reuse then gonna save money. Its a buyers market so why not try and organise to meet one or 2 builders at the house and go thru what you want. If your a serious buyer Im sure sellers would accomodate. Taking down a non load bearing wall (provided no pulmbing or elecs) is a simple case of a sledge hammer as far as I understand shouldnt cost a lot.
Oh and just to let you know my kitchen came from in-house and my bathroom from tubs and tiles so didnt cost the earth. My builder was a carpenter by trade so did all the carpentry and as he said "an expensive kitchen fitted badly will look cheap & a cheap(er) kitchen fitted properly will look like it cost a fortune and this is the case with ours. The trick is to get a builder who can do all the work in a resonable budget WELL

hi. I moved into a house in december. I am doing roughly the same as what you are doing but Ive had my Dad and brothers help me do a lot of the work which has saved a fortune. They removed the partition wall for me. I am getting a new kitchen too. i will just warn you - I thought I would do alot more for the money I had but it goes so quickly on small things that you don't think to budget for. 100 quid here and 100 there. Also when you start doing work you will start to see other things to do - like when we got our kitchen in we realised we needed to change the doors etc. Also be prepared for lots of mess and dust if you plan on living in the house while the work is being carried out. I'd get the big things done first. the rest can be done bit by bit. You have your whole life then to get the other things done. In our house the bathroom is not my priority - it will be a while before we look to do it up. Good luck and prepare for a bit of stress !

Back