Appropriate approach to someone driving at 90kph in the middle lane of the Naas Rd?

LOL Purple - what is the first line in your quote from the RSA website! It isn't "Definition of overtaking" is it! Thanks for proving my point!

Eh?
I'm not sure what you are saying/asking.
The section is called "Overtaking"
The first line on that page is "Only overtake if it is safe for you and other traffic"

Finally understanding this thread, I think, it was much easier with the kids and certainly far better than the effort I made on paper. I can categorically state that a) is the safest and legalist option and my kids agree.

Yes, it really is that simple.

Eh?
I'm not sure what you are saying/asking.

I'm simply saying you have not provided a definition of overtaking yet which proves that changing lanes is required.

I found a really good post over on Boards.ie on this very subject, it is very informative and I think comes to the same conclusion that you and I agree on Purple (that it is safer to remain in the driving lane in this scenario) but it also agrees that overtaking can mean passing whilst remaining in the same lane.

Finally it's cleared up;

Accused of overtaking is not the same as overtaking.
... and while I'm being pedantic it's Umble Pie, not Humble Pie

Maybe the Gardai should start pulling in people who are driving in the outside lanes when not overtaking.

Just a quiet word with them about the rules of the road might solve a lot of problems.

Brendan

While that approach is needed, the gardai would be kept going 24/7 pulling over 'middle and outside lane hoggers'.

What is needed is driver education.
Clear consise advertisments showing drivers what is required on motorways and dual-carraigeways. The latest RSA tv about motorway driving doesnt spell things out clearly enough imho. For example, the advert says "never use the hard shoulder, except in an emergency". Now while that is correct advice, I believe the advert should state (also state?) - "it is an offence to stop on the hard shoulder, except in an emergency".

Also, I believe that Sunday newspaper adverts/diagrams could be more effective imho, because

a - more older drivers read Sunday papers (and many older drivers have sparse knowledge of motorway driving and/or never sat a driving test)

b - newspaper adverts allow people more time to study same and 'figure it all out' / 'let it sink in'.

My 2 cents.

Since this thread started I've been on the main road into Dublin from the south (N7/N9 I think). So I did an experiment because this thread came to mind as I wondered once again why everybody was driving in the middle etc.

I managed to pass out 9 cars in one go in the middle lane while being in the slow lane. That's my record for now.

Maybe the Gardai should start pulling in people who are driving in the outside lanes when not overtaking.

Just a quiet word with them about the rules of the road might solve a lot of problems.
They do actually do this - my OH was pulled over for driving at the speed limit in the overtaking lane of a dual carriageway, while the left lane was empty.

He was told that he could cause an obstruction to emergency vehicles and was to drive in the left lane unless overtaking.

Have to say I was delighted he was told off!

any chance the rsa do a video on the correct way to do this and post it on rte etc like they did for the roundabouts

And this is exactly what the RSA should be considering for the M50 instead of floating the idea of more tolls to reduce congestion. Lane hogging on the m50 is horrendous. If they are so concerned about the peak time congestion on the on & off ramps they should also be installing traffic lights on all exits. Sandyford is fantastic since the lights were introduced. I know the thoughts of 3 more charges of €1.50 each way will definitely be a deal breaker for me. An extra €9 per day for the pleasure of getting to work would be a killer for someone who has a daily 170km round trip.

One piece of driving advice from the distant past seemed to have stuck in the minds of a lot of drivers . Remember that old radio and TV add about " getting into the correct lane in time if making a right or left turn " This manifests itself regularly on my daily commute where drivers enter the M4 at Leixlip and immediately enter the right hand (overtaking) lane because they are planning to turn right at Kilmainham. Hellor high water will not budge them from this lane . There are probably many examples of this behaviour every day which in my opinion is simply down to lack of driver knowledge as motorway driving is relatively new to Ireland.

Yep, I saw a woman in a mini (the big one that looks like a van) this morning on the M50 accelerated as she changed lanes right to left the whole width of the motorway at Tallaght this morning. She was heading North and exited at the Tallaght off-ramp. She would have ended up behind the same car if she had waited 'till the lane was clear and changed lanes one at a time.
Unnecessary and dangerously aggressive driving for absolutely no gain.