Appointment with probate office

kfk

Hi
I have received an appointment with the District Probate Registrar today to be sworn in as executor. I have all the paperwork and Inland Revenue Affidavit submitted to the office already. What can I expect from this meeting? Does the grant of probate issue immediately once sworn in? Any insight appreciated.
Thanks

No, it takes some time, at least 6 weeks. It will only happen once you have all the appropriate documentation - please make sure you have, especially current bank account statements, outstanding credit statements etc. Once you've had your meeting with the probate office, you have to go to another office (it's a walk away) and pay about €450 to process the probate activity. You get a receipt from them, after which you have to go to the Revenue Office on O'Connell St (get the Luas, it's outside the door) and queue up for a short while to get a document stamped. Then back to the Probate office to hand in all of the officially paid and stamped documentation. This happened to me last year - it may have changed slightly, although I doubt it. You could pay a solicitor to do this stuff for you, but if you have all of the correct documentation for the meeting at the Probate Office, then you have no worries, and it's just a sort of jaunt around central Dublin to complete the process. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Should probably have mentioned that it is the probate office in Kerry that I am dealing with. Have heard somewhere before that the lead times outside Dublin are much shorter. I have all the documentation (ca24, certs of bank balances, property valuations and bills) submitted already. Once sworn in as executor, does this mean that the cert of probate will issue and my dealings with the probate office will finish. They have also asked me to pay the probate fee when I go in for my appointment.

Not sure about the various offices in Kerry (I had to go to three different locations in Dublin), but maybe they're all in the same vicinity in Kerry. Once you've had your concluding probate meeting (on the same day, you will meet initially with the probate office to go through all documentation and you will have to return there with the stamped document from Revenue) then it's just a matter of a couple of weeks before you receive the Grant of Probate in the post. That was my experience in any event. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will let you know how I get on next week. Must say that the staff in the probate office have been very helpful.

Outside of Dublin times are much shorter.

It is also worth noting that waiting times for solicitors are also much shorter than they are for us plebs. (Thank the system which looks after certain sections for that.)

I did mine in Galway, staff were very friendly and efficient, and I got the affidavit sworn while I was there. I had to pay stamp duty separately, but the whole process only took a couple of weeks.

Unless you're in a hurry - you don't need a solicitor. All of the required processes can be carried out by a non-legal expert.

Met with the District Probate Registrar yesterday and was sworn in. They said that the cert of probate would be posted to me next week. I am very impressed with the speed of the whole process. If the cert issues next week, it will have only taken less than a month in total. Thanks for the replies.

Back