applying for planning for garden room

M

mindoro100

I need to go about getting planning for a 4.6x9m garden room in the back garden.

I don't want to go to the expense of having someone do the planning application for what is a fairly straightforward structure. Can the position of the cabin simply be drawn into one of the maps i order off Osi? - and then a detailed map of the structure itself submitted with it?

Also, how difficult is it to obtain permission for use as a living space assuming there are no objections from the neighbours? I checked the local development plan and it didnt give any indication that a specific need would have to be demonstrated. It will take up less than 50% of the back garden area (local plan says that permission decision is based on their being sufficient space?).

Unless you have experience of applying for planning permission previously, I would recommend that you ask a professional to act on your behalf. Applying for planning permisssion these days involves a lot of information you need to include.
Also, if you can keep the size of the extension under 40sqm, you don't need planning permission as long as its to the rear of the house - again, an architectural professional can advise.
You will need construction drawings for the builder to build from anyway.

Applying for planning permisssion these days involves a lot of information you need to include.
Can we drill this down to what exactly is required? I really can't afford to get someone to do it.
Also, if you can keep the size of the extension under 40sqm, you don't need planning permission as long as its to the rear of the house
Its not an extension - its a seperate log cabin.
You will need construction drawings for the builder to build from anyway.
The suppliers will be providing me with a drawing of the actual unit - and this will be submitted with the application.

May be usefull information here
though your case may not fall under the above links as you are planning a seperate building, e.g. it is not an extension of your house.

mark the 'garden room' on an os map, submitt the drawings as received from the company (remember to put levels on these as they probably won't have them relative to your site), along with your application form, site notice, fee, cover letter, etc. your local authority planning office will have a list of everything you need. if you're worried about whether you'll get planning, then arrange a meeting with your area planner to discuss the development. talk to your neighbours also so you can address their concerns early on.
good luck

you really should speak with your local planner, you'll have the
best chance of getting permission for this if you can demonstrate
a need for the area like a 'granny flat'. Secondly the money you
spend on a professional making the planning application in my view
is well worth it, you'll get a professional to build your cabin and likewise
the drawings should be treated in a similar fashion. remember your planing with
the commencement notice will take you minimum 3.5 months and add
the time it'll take you to prepare a valid planning application could
take a couple of weeks and if you make a mistake they'll return the
whole appliocation and you'll have to re-lodge it.

If you're hell bent on doing it yourself then go to the planning dept
and ask to see a particular application (get the address first) that
was granted and look at it in detail and you'll see everything that
is involved.

look over the sections listed on the lefthand side of the page here for
all that is involved, this is fingal's website but it all comes from the DOE.
[broken link removed]

good luck ;)

Back