Appealing the AIB level of compensation

deanpark

They shouldn't have gone to an Appeal as such. They should have made a claim for additional compensation to ptsb and then if ptsb rejected it, they should have gone to the Appeals Panels.

I think that this is what AIB is doing.

Brendan
`
Hi Brendan

(1) Re your comment above about AIB (& EBS presumably?) - are they open to accepting a direct claim for additional payment (on top of the 25k for a BTL loss) so that a formal submission by a customer to their Appeals Panel could be avoided.

(2) The generic figure of 25k compensation for a BTL - If you lost a BTL in e.g., the depths of Leitrim you get 25k, the same as if you had one of a much higher value in a prime area of Dublin? Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

I am not 100% sure how it works in practice.

I think you have to appeal. But AIB will look at the appeal and settle it if they thing it's reasonable without going to the Appeals Panel.

Brendan

Hi deanpark,
Are you ebs ? If you are I am interested in the fact you got redress , we are still awaiting , loan agreement is tracker but we fixed after few months and then told no tracker, are you similar ?
Thanks

Hi deanpark,
Are you ebs ? If you are I am interested in the fact you got redress , we are still awaiting , loan agreement is tracker but we fixed after few months and then told no tracker, are you similar ?
Thanks

Probably not similar.

It was a BTL property that was sold in 2015 on the suggestion of EBS as mortgage was in difficulty for a long time. In 2016, 18 months after the sale, they got in touch to say they had been overcharging for some years prior to the sale as I was on a SVR as opposed to the correct BTL rate of 1.5% over ECB. I didn't realise this was the case.

I received compensation in early 2017.

(2) The generic figure of 25k compensation for a BTL - If you lost a BTL in e.g., the depths of Leitrim you get 25k, the same as if you had one of a much higher value in a prime area of Dublin? Is my understanding correct?

Yes. The €25k is a basic figure so to speak. Everyone gets it.

Were you in negative equity? Do you still have a shortfall? Did they write it off?

I have seen one case where he got a great deal to voluntarily surrender the property a few years ago. Then he got the shortfall written off and he got compensation.

He wasn't paying even the tracker amount in repayments, but he got this compensation anyway.

Brendan

Hi,
can someone post a "clickable" link to Brendan's link in the first post of this thread.
It's not a hyperlink for me and I have searched but I cannot find the source of that link.
Thanks

Back