Apparently I cant register a business name with .com, Is there any appeal mechanism?

simplename

Apparently I cant register a business name with .com in it, but there seems to be thousands of these already, is there any way around this or to appeal to the CRO?

Re: business name with .com in it

simple answer..

no..

there is no other way around it and no way of appealing

Last edited:

They changed the rules in the last year or so, so basically the existing ones are there and there won't be any new additions

that sucks, 95% of my enquires come from my website.

Why did they do this?

I wonder could I register a name XYZ but then say trading as XYZ.com or is that pretty much the same thnig.

you can only trade as what you are registered to trade as...

why do you need to trade as xyz.com ?? surely xyz is good enough.

Yeah I guess, really just liked the idea of XYZ.com to kind of emphasis we mainly online provider.

Here's a question for you while online, my site is called AAABBB.COM, I was going to register that as a name but now obviously I can't but my website name is made up of two componet parts AAA and BBB, would you recommend registering the business name as AAABBB or AAA BBB with a space between the two.

Wonder if it matters...

We do most of our business online and pegging a domain extension onto our name would never happen

ok folks thanks for your views on this, I'm just gonna register AAA BBB a the business name and then our website will be AAABBB.COM so it won't be that hard to guess our domain name from our business name.

Bit of a bummer though is the fact that we built up our website name, which contains a word which described what used to be our core business area but now we are doing something related but different and I think the name might now be better changed to something either more generic or a name which contains our current expertise as a word somewhere. Problem is well lose the reputation and built up reputation of the site of the last few years.

Bit of a bummer though is the fact that we built up our website name, which contains a word which described what used to be our core business area but now we are doing something related but different and I think the name might now be better changed to something either more generic or a name which contains our current expertise as a word somewhere. Problem is well lose the reputation and built up reputation of the site of the last few years.
Potentially you could set up an additional site (with associated additional costs) with the new generic name, which could then link back to the original page. I don't see this as being a problem or real concern though.

*With some publicity and marketing people will get to know the new area of expertise of the company, and the reputation built to date will always be a benefit. Most people will find sites with searchs through Google, so setting the site up right (the key words in place to ensure it gets caught in searches, plenty of links to the site to bump it up the google catch etc etc) would be more of an issue than the actual name.

[*Most people know Apple as a computer manufacturer, yet they have no problem getting people looking for MP3 players to log onto the site]

What about registering the following as your business name - "Business Name Dot Com"? I see this is done in the CRO.

What about registering the following as your business name - "Business Name Dot Com"? I see this is done in the CRO.

I did think about that a bit but kind of lucks tacky I think, so if thats banned too at least i wont be tempted to go down that route.

Great help so far guys, thanks you much.

out of curiousity does anyone know the reason for this ban from the CRO?

I registered my business name.com with CRO a few years ago , no problem. It might be, as I thought at the time, that they had no way of checking if you owned the domain name and that I could have registered any .com that was not allready registered as an Irish business entity.

You migth be onto something there runner, when I was speaking to them on the phone the other day, the chap couldn't really tell me why, but that it came from the top, so didn't want to have a go at him or anything as he's just doing his job. At the same time though, I have searche google and cro and can't find anything about it. I initially found out when registering AAABBB.com as biz online, through their javscript validation, 'names cannot contain .com' that's all.

Its actually almost draconian, I mean we're kind of the silicon valley of europe, with a big emphasis on internet businesses, surely the could have hooked into some registers DB and if the domain owner and the person seeking to register the correspoinding domain 100% match then give it a go ahead. OK that might be too strict for many ppl but one could also change their domain name info with their register if in fact they did indeed own that domain. I think they are probly just trying to save themselves work here.

Anyhow enough jibber jabber from me.

I suspect they dont want the hassle in domain name dispute cases dumped on them either!
Irish solution to an Irish problem... I think weve had that before here.

Back