App to control oil heating.

Mapara

Hi
I'm interested in upgrading my heating controls for my oil central heating system so is it possible to have an app on my phone to turn it on and off remotely and if so what would be involved in achieving this ?.

I have Climote on mine, works well but is more expensive than the Nest system. With Climote, you can set separate timers for two heating zones and a hot water zone. I think with Nest you only get one timer for heating and have to manage differentiating two heating zones via thermostats.

Is your system zoned already?

No my system is not zoned.....I've just had a look at the Climote it seems good .and is similar to what im looking for....my manual control has a 1hr button on it which I find very handy.
As it runs for the hour and then off.is something like that possible on the Climote?.

I seem to remember there was a service charge associated with climate (covering the SIM card?)

The idea of the smart thermostat is to get away from the boost function. You set the temperature and the smart controls does the rest with minimal intervention

Climote, Nest, Hive and Netamo are all available from energy providers in Ireland and some all will offer a discount by using them. They would be your first option

When you say your system is not zoned I take it that you cannot heat the water separately from your radiators. I've a 3rd gen nest and it could control water and heating separately but the house is not plumbed that way.

Some of the more advanced kits would include smart radiator valves which would allow you to effectively create multiple zones without having to replumb the whole system. Like everything there is a balance to be had.

All of the main smart thermostats will cover the basics you want after that it's down to they type of system you have (most smarts thermostats are widely compatible) and ultimately personal preference.

As it runs for the hour and then off.is something like that possible on the Climote?.

Yeah, Climote will allow you 'boost' for 30 mins up to 9 hours. Most other smart home systems will offer similar.

Climote advertise a €10 per annum service charge (they use a SIM card in the controller for connection)

Some of the more advanced kits would include smart radiator valves which would allow you to effectively create multiple zones without having to replumb the whole system. Like everything there is a balance to be had.
In my last place I had the LightwaveRF system, but found the radiator valves noisy. Even when not in use they'd go through an open/close cycle regularly to prevent them becoming jammed!

This one is available free of charge, provided that you haven't previously availed of SEAI grants in this area;

It's fairly basic, but it works. You can set your weekly schedule for the boiler, and turn it on or off remotely. It works over local wifi, so no SIM is required. No zones, no radiator valves.

Back