Apartments (Bottleworks)- Change to Plans

Mac

Hi There,

Has anyone bought an apartment in the Bottleworks in Irishtown. I have, and have noticed that the owners have applied for planning permission to extend all apartment blocks by another storey, creating another 15 apartments. The apartments originally went on sale early summer 2005 off the plants, and the brochures showed 5 stories, and a completion date of mid 2006. I have a few questions:

1. Is the value of your property reduced if you were previously on the top floor (not a penthouse), and now you are one from top.

2. Should the inclusion of a new storey legthen the completion date.

3. Would there be any grounds to object to the development.

4. Should the annual fees be reduced (there are already 1700 p/annum) if their are now more occupants in the Block.

Many thanks,

Mac

Re: Bottleworks Apartments - Change to Plans

If I had bought a top floor apartment I would kick up a stink right now. The apartment is simply a nicer place to live and more valuable (in my personal/non-prof opinion) as you do not have neighbours above you.

I'd also be very surprised if it didn't push out the completion date.

Mac said:

(there are already 1700 p/annum)

what size is the appartment?

thats very expensive for a new build, usually the builder subsidises the
fee at the start and they usually double within 3 years.

They are trying the same number in the Racecourse D 15.

You can object however there is some loophole that makes it easier for developers to "add on" floors after initial planning has been sought.

I think its greedy to be honest .....

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. The apartment size is 685 sq. feet, price 410,000 + 25,000 for car space.

With regard to the annual fee, it gets worse. The mamangement company, who we are tied to for the first 2 years, have insisted in the contracts that 2 years fees be piad on completion (3,400 euro). We looked for them to change this part of the contract to one year but they would not. We basically had to sign on their terms or give up the apartment.
Mac

You could try objecting on noise/disturbance grounds - there would additional noise both during and after construction.

Who said there was a loophole allowing builders to add another floor? What does your solicitor say about this in the context of your contract for sale? Also which planning authority area are you in and when did the public notice for the revised planning appear in the paper?

A planning application would have been required to add and additional floor, its common enough practice for developers to go for a planning permission and when it is granted go for modifications to the granted permission. This could include small items like a change of the main gate or something greater like the additional floor. These modifications are usually granted on the strength that the original permission would usually be the contentious issue with the neighbours.

It tends to go unnoticed by the public though as it is common enough practice for the builder to leave up any old site notices and just replace them with the new site notices which generally go unnoticed so there are no objections and the permission is granted.
There is no loophole, you will find there is a seperate planning application in Dublin City Council, or Dublin City Council may have requested they add the extra floor.

I would have thought the only way around it is through your solicitor and on the basis that the apt is no longer on the top floor.

You will almost certainly find that in the original purchase documentation signed by you that there is a clause stating that the developer reserves the right to alter or change the development including the building of additional units. This would be a standard clause in such developments. I would think that your most effective route would be a planning objection, and if possible you should employ an expert to advise on the relevant possible objection (s). It would of course be more cost effective to get together with any other residents who would also like to object and spread the cost.

It does seem unfair I have to say. Surely the builder should be selling the ground floor apartments as the extra units? I would certainly not be happy if what was sold to me as top floor turned out to be second from top. What about the loft space you would originally most likely have got?

Yes it will influence the value of your apt. There will be another person living above you now. Hence more noise.

Yes it will add to the completion time. There is another floor to be biult on top of yours.

There is no reason for the service charge to be reduced. There are more apts to look after now. In fact it may go up due to the extra exterior area on the building.

I bought an apartment a few years ago with a nice view out the 3rd floor window, by the time i moved in there was another block in front of the view which wasn't in the plans at all. I was sorry i didnt pull out because when i sold up, the apartments with the view were worth about €10k more than mine and they were the same in every other way.

Yes is the answer to 1,2 and 3.

Insist on retaining the top floor.

the management fee may not reduce with more tennants as they will claim that they now have more work/units to look after. However, if you go ahead with the purchase, make sure you get on the development resident comittee and decide who gets the next management contract when the current one runs out.

Any update on this. Bottleworks sold out very quickly so I'm sure there must be some more purchasers out there.

This is not a location issue so moving to different forum.

Back