Apartment insurance in Budapest

GalwayRon

Does anybody know about where I can get insurance. I have a first floor apartment in District VI and just after my daughter moved into it in September, there was some bad plumbing done and there was a leak. The water went into a fabric shop on the ground floor and did some damage. They tried to get me to pay but I was under the assumption that everyone insures their own place against damage. I've not heard anything since from them. But I would like to get insurance on my own place. I tried a few companies here but none cover properties abroad.

Try Allianz Hungária Biztosító Zrt, Bajcsy Zsilinszky út 52. The only person there who seems to speak English is Agnes Fodor, so ask your daughter to wait in line for her. Bring a tulajdoni lap (property sheet) and give your daughter a written and signed authorisation to act on your behalf. The simplest and cheapest way of paying is if you ask for a direct debit form, which you can fill in and send back.

Rosinsky's post looks suspiciously like an affiliate programme "?introducer=650204". You should probably declare if you stand to make a commission from the sale.

Does anybody know about where I can get insurance. I have a first floor apartment in District VI and just after my daughter moved into it in September, there was some bad plumbing done and there was a leak. The water went into a fabric shop on the ground floor and did some damage. They tried to get me to pay but I was under the assumption that everyone insures their own place against damage. I've not heard anything since from them. But I would like to get insurance on my own place. I tried a few companies here but none cover properties abroad.
hi galwayron ,how did it work out? as i am in the same boat looking for cover

would appriciate any info...thanks

In Budapest each condominium has its own insurance (usually). This is one of the reasons why owners/tenants have to pay the monthly common costs for building maintenance. It usually contains the general insurance for the building, too. So I'd recommend you to get in touch with the janitor first. He will tell you if the damage will be covered by the general insurance, or not. Of course, property owners can sign their own insurance as well, however the general one usually covers the most important issues (leakage, structural damages etc.)

It's also slightly cheaper to insure your own apartment (for furniture, break-ins, accidental damage, windows, doors, etc.) with the same company as the house uses as their general insurer, so I agree, gtyler, it's a good idea to find out which company this is. However, it's also possible to insure the apartment with a different provider from the house and in this case, I'd recommend Allianz.

Thats an interesting point just made previously.So the building insurance is covered in the common costs so to speak.I also insure with a seperate insurance firm through my management company for about 125 euro per year.Does this mean the my insurance is possibly unecessary ?

This is more than likely fire insurance. You would need to be covered seperately for this,as a fire could be contained in just your appartment.

Most houses in Budapest will have insurance, which covers communal areas as well as certain apartment-specific issues. For the most part, it makes sense to get apartment insurance also to cover internal issues as well as furniture. If the same company is used for house insurance as well as the apartment insurance, then the owner's premium tends to be less. Your house manager would be able to advise which company insures your house.

Thanks for all your advice. My daughter managed to arrange cover locally for approx €130 per annum.

Back