Anyone use infrared heaters for conservatory?

eamonn123456

Background:

I have a conservatory that I basically don't use for 6 months of the year as I don't want to waste oil keeping it warm.

Maybe I am being tight, but I can't see the point of insulating and double glazing to the nth degree and then spoil it by opening up the conservatory to the rest of the house and sucking heat out of the house.

Likewise I can't bring myself to have the rad on in the conservatory as it would be constantly calling for heat from the boiler, burning plenty of oil I would imagine, and even at that it would still be cold at the moment.

I would love to have the option of using the conservatory for the odd hour here and there during the winter, even for the sake of a bit of sunlight, especially for the kids.

Question:
Has anyone used infrared heating for a conservatory?

Something like this:

http://www.heatinfrared.co.uk/Quartz.htm

Looks ideal as I would have instant heat and instant cut off as well.

Looks reasonably economical as well at 1.5kw rating (got to be cheaper than space heating with oil in a non-airtight conservatory with PVC roof).

Any experience of these being used in this way?

Pros and cons please?

They work completely different to other heaters , you feel warm because the water content in your body heats up it does not heat the room , great for big area like car sales rooms where people are in & out all day & they want to warm up instantly when they come in. Should do fine in the conservatory , just turn it off when you leave the room ,its serving no purpose by laeving it on apart form using electricity.

Is there an Infrared / dull emitter heater that would be suitable for heating humans?

I was looking at something like this:

[broken link removed]

Was wondering would it heat me and the kids if its hung at lightbulb level ie about 8 feet?

I have no idea if 250w would give much heat, was wondering if anyone has any experience of using these type of heating in a vivarium / terrarium?

Back