Anyone risking booking a foreign holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d have put her in her mid to late 20ies.
So, 24-29. According to the earlier post, Millenials were 23-38 in 2019.

Yes, but it wouldn't be a girl (or a minor) being interviewed in that case.

“ a young, immature woman,”

I will accept your response at face value, and that it was ignorance rather than intent.

Referring to an adult human as a child is derogatory; now that you are no longer ignorant of that, you can choose not to do it again.

You might like to also note item 2b.

Last edited:
The mood music is more-and-more against foreign travel. With TH stepping down it’ll be interesting to hear what his successor says.

The newly appointed Minister of Health is unequivocal.

Interesting point about green lists. The C19 situation is fluid as ever. Three weeks ago Portugal would have been on it but not now.

There are too many mixed messages for people who would like to travel though.

So your use of the word 'girl' was intended to be derogatory?

My wife and her circle of friends are all Generation Xers, they always refer to themselves as girls, nights out with the girls for example. I think they would equate being called women to being called old.

Reminds me of when my Dad asks me to sort stuff out for him and I have to call banks or service providers pretending to be him. I try and sound in my late 70s and do well at the start but it’s harder as a conversation develops and you automatically say things in a certain way. I’ve been told I sound “very sprightly” and “with it” :)

Once upon a time girl and boy meant unmarried, you could be a bachelor boy of 40...
I think most of the time with males we avoid this linguistic landmine with 'lad' e.g. "the lad done well".

My wife and her circle of friends are all Generation Xers, they always refer to themselves as girls, nights out with the girls for example. I think they would equate being called women to being called old.
What one chooses to refer to oneself is not the issue here.

As an aside, try referring to an African American man as 'boy' and see how far you get.

Adult humans are not children; it's not hard to stop doing it.

My wife is the same. She meets up with “the girls” (they’re in their 30ies) and occasionally I’ll ask, “any news from the girls?”.
Tomorrow night I’m meeting up with “the boys” (I’m 48) for a few drinks. She asked me, “which one of the boys did the booking?”.

Funnily enough, when I wrote that post (#34) which has caused a stir, I was going to use the word “lady”, but some find that word creepy.
And I’d briefly considered “w*n” but that, though Cork slang, has become derogatory. Maybe I should have used the more polite “one”?

Cant win! And can’t please everybody.
Let the moderators decide

My wife just said she was planning a meal with the girls. I told her that she was a sexist pig and stormed out of the room. I just can't believe I am married to such a person.

Think this thread might be gone slightly off topic......

It's really pretty simple.

Girls and boys are children.
Women and men are adults.

If age is relevant to the story/incident, reference it.
If age is not relevant to the story/incident, don't reference it.

I was pretty sure that most people understood that the use of 'boy' in particular to African Americans is viewed as a perjorative term; but given the odd response, perhaps I was mistaken.

My wife just said she was planning a meal with the girls. I told her that she was a sexist pig and stormed out of the room. I just can't believe I am married to such a person.

Think this thread might be gone slightly off topic......
Of course calling people names and losing your temper is the way to go ;)

I was pretty sure that most people understood that the use of 'boy' in particular to African Americans is viewed as a perjorative term; but given the odd response, perhaps I was mistaken.

My surprise, and perhaps others', was that you would try to conflate such a loaded, hate-filled term with adults referring to themselves as boys or girls. The usage of boys/ girls here to refer to adults is common place, you seem to be the lone voice in taking offence where I and others didn't see any intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back