Anyone have coverage problems with 3G phones?

CCOVICH

Does anyone else have coverage problems with a 3G phone, i.e. when it goes out of coverage it takes ages to come back, or you have to do a search? I'm not talking about 3G coverage, just normal coverage for making and receiving calls.

The phone in question is a Sony Ericsson V600i

I spent 30mins onto the tech department of Vodafone on friday about the same thing - app they were / are having problems with the 3G network.

I was told not to worry because every second call should work!!!!!!!!!

explained that this was no good to me and that i couldnt stay with a network that only worked 50% of the time, response was that i was due an upgrade and they could even take money off the upgrade for me. unbelievable.

my boyfriend had exact same problem with his phone, kept losing coverage. Rang vodafone and their solution was to turn phone off and back on again which worked but not much use if phone in your pocket and you don't know you've no coverage.
Then a friend of his told him to switch connection from 3G to 2G (can't remember exactly how he did this but think in settings and connectivity - correct me if I'm wrong!) and phone perfect since!

The 3G network is at about 60%ish and GSM 98%ish coverage .

It's not the handsets fault , simply change network setting from 3G or Dual mode depending on handset type to GSM or 900 / 1800 !

Disadvantage

No Video calls or mobile TV
Slower data speeds

Advantage

Normal voice service without dropped calls , no coverage or network busy

Ok thanks.

So I should only use 3G when I actually want to use the internet etc.?

I'll give it a go in GSM mode only for a while and see how that works.

Your phone should transition automatically, simply the extra signal/space for the 3g would not be there, the 3g parts should drop, the 2/2.5G should always be there. Your phone would have a 3G reciever and a 2G reciever, i would say this is more an issue of the Vodafone network than your handset, on mine, K800i and prior K608i when i had no 3G coverage the 3G symbol just disappeared, the 2G component of your handset should still and always be connected. I can't comment on Vodafone as i'm a three subscriber and count myself lucky never to have had any of the issues a lot of people here did,

Back