anyone got any good ideas on colour for a hallway?

BLOB

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has good ideas on colour for a hallway.

It is quite bright when the sun shines, red deal doors, architrave and skirting., canadian white oak on floor.

I would like something that is modern , warm and bright.

Any ideas ?

I have a lot of cream in the house already so want to divert.

I have looked at greens and have a tester of colourtrend persian green. Its ok but
maybe lacks that wow factor.

the colour in the hall at the moment is too orangy and makes the wood look horrible. Because the stairs is open there is alot of wood to contrast.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a colortrend paint called "sheep" it's a lovely light warmish greeny-hint-of-blue that might work well. I've used it in a couple of rooms in my house and a year later, I still love it (as does everyone else whose seen it).

you could try b and q green guava. very crisp but warm at the same time.

Green generally cools a space and will reduce the amount of light in the space.
Some people "see" green as a warm colour, others as cool - plus it depends on the green.

You may find there is a glare factor involved if the floor is light coloured and bouncing the sunlight into your eyes and the wall are dark.
So don't just address the colour itself, you could also consider the light/dark and balance in the space and the reflectance of materials and finishes.

ONQ.

thanks folks.......... I will get testers - my hall is like a collage' at the moment !!
will let ye know what i end up with.

thanks also onq - will take your comments on board.

I am open to all colours - not just green or blue - but it must e warm, cheerful and bright.

thanks again
b

we put warm peach in our hallways, lovely and warm and bright, reflects the light well

Green generally cools a space and will reduce the amount of light in the space.

Have to totally disagree!

Green is bang in the middle of the cool and warm colours as it's a mixture of blue (cool) and yellow (warm). So obviously a more bluey green (think "sea green") will feel cool and a more yellowy green (think "tropical lime") will feel warm.

Paler greens often tend towards the bluer (cooler) end of the green spectrum (which might be behind ONQ's comment), but it's worth trying a stronger green than you would initially go for as it is a great "neutral" - after all, every colour flower looks good on a green plant :)

When my sister was a kid she was allowed to choose the colour for her small bedroom and my mother was appalled when she chose a bright, yellowy green - but it looked amazing, and even made the (very) small room look much more spacious. I would describe it as the colour of sunlight coming through leaves. She had cream curtains and the combination looked great, so it might work very well with the your house already having a lot of cream.

In short (if that ship hasn't sailed) think "Green"!

For real impact, go for something dramatic like Aubergine! Would be a lovely contrast to your nice light oak flooring and looks super crisp with white skirting. Just think how how nice some frame black and white prints with a thick white boarder frame would look on this wall. If you have cream wall in the rest of the house, I think it could take the drama of an aubergine hallway, particularly if there is a not of natural light in the hallyway.

I HAVE A LOVELY COLOR "Aran" in my hallway and everyone loves it, its on the Johnstons paint brochure.. its a very pale pale green but very classy

A yellow might be nice but I'm not a fan of the strong yellows you see in hallways . . . a more subtle yellow but not lemony.

hallway

Thanks everyone !!
I will be making the decision tomorrow as I want to get on with the job:)

I popped into two different paint shops this week where they had a resident
Interior Designer - I had laptop photo's of hall with me.

Different companies........Different Designers but BOTH picked out the very same colour.................. I was amazed !!!!

The colour they picked was Persian Green by Colourtrend.

I have taken all your suggestions on board and tomorrow will take the list to the shop I will be buying from and wrap up the deal !!

will let you know.

thanks again
b

I saw Persian Green in the kitchen and hall of a showhouse and it was so gorgeous I tracked the designer down to find out the name of the colour. I think it would be gorgeous in your hall.

hi; I put Porcelain white in my hall. I like you wanted a warm and rich colour to welcome me and whoever. when it was recommended to me, I flatly said no, but I came around eventually. Am I glad, it opened my hall up, it looks rich and it just hugs me every time I walk in..

I recently painted a hall way in Crown Perfect Toast, get a sample it's warm and modern.

thanks everyone - I ended up with persian green by colortrend.
It worked out well - really compliments red deal skirting and doors.
I have these varnished - it is easier to find colour matches with
white or cream skirtings and doors............ some day I will paint
them but like the brightness of the wood at the moment.

thanks again for all the suggestions.

Did you pay the Colortrend price for the tin of paint or were you able to get a cheaper copy.
I have been looking at both Farrow and Ball and Colortrend colours but the price for 10 litres is horrendous.
Anybody get a cheaper copy and did it work out O.K.?

Hi Odea,
yep paid the colourtrend price - 5 litres for about 40 euro I think.
F&B are much more expensive but other threads say it is really good paint and
very good colour system..........

b

Thanks. I have been offered the ColorTrend for circa €76 for 10 litres bucket. How many coats did you need to use and were you painting over a dark colour?

I was painting over a peachy/orange colour and used just two coats.
The paint shope were selling me undercoat too but i did not take it.

Two coats was perfect and I paid €38 or five litres........ had to get two
tins as i did upstairs too.

cheers

Back