Anyone getting winter tyres?

Anybody know if winter tyres are different to "studded tyres" that I remember someone recommending a while ago?

[broken link removed]

Here's a link that will explain the 2 different types of winter tyres to you. If you are living in Ireland then I can't imagine you'd ever need studded tyres.

Where live I use friction tyres (in fact I'm having them fitted this morning) and they are excellent.

Got winter tyres in cork in a garage across from supervalue in togher . paid 80 euros a tyre .... I had to get a new tyre anyway and i was thinking about the scares i had last year . never want to do Xmas eve trip down to kerry from cork... hope i never have to test them and that met eireann and all the predictions get it wrong !!!

Two of the tyres and rims arrived today :) They look good! Other two are in depot in the UK (all sent out together, don't ask why seperate deliveries!). Fitting should be next Wednesday.....bring on the cold weather!

Janedoe06, what brand/model.size are they? I know some of the local garages around here have many of the cheap Asian tyres and charging what appears to be reasonable rates. As a guy in the garage told me "I wouldn't put them on a bicycle!". Check reviews out on the models.....lower quality ones appear to perform less well in wet and dry conditions and wear faster - could possible be false economy? Still, if we have fresh snow am sure there will still be a difference in the grip!

I had winter tyres fitted today possibly the best xmas pressie i could get for my auto Volvo.
I have lived in the French alps and found them invaluable for getting around even when the depth of snow is up to the axles, but the real fun starts when driving on ice ! another story

Are you not wasting them by using them now in normal driving conditions?

I read that the compound was a lot softer and if used on tarmac and not snow then they would wear away a lot quicker.

They normally operate better than standard tyres when temperatures start to drop below 7 degrees. As you say, the compound is softer and so withstands the lower temps, maintaining grip of the tyre to the road. We've had a few icy mornings here already (-3 a couple of mornings a few weeks ago!).

The term 'winter tyres' is often confused with 'snow tyres' i think.,....

Winter tyres are much better for winter time when the average temperature is 7 degrees and FLOSSIE said, but they are for snow too, as they are softer and stick better to the road and snow lying on the road. Last year I bought 4 winter tyres and there were situations where I was the only person/car to manage to drive up the steep hill or icy road. There is a huge difference between winter and summer tyres. I recommend winter tyres for winter time. And always replace 2 or 4 not 1 or 3;)

...those Bridgestone tyres seen on TV look teh dog's...contemplating getting snow socks too...anyone know of a cheap retailer for snow socks?

Well, tyres have been on a week and they appear to have been worn in now. Amazing at the difference in how the car handles - steering is feather light, you can feel the response to the road etc. Temperatures are around the 4 degree mark, so think I am just about safe for keeping them on, although driving to the UK this week which should put them to the test!

Back